Womens football.

Sunbrow
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Womens football.

Post by Sunbrow » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Before anyone comes on here to criticise the women's game, take tonight's France v Norway game, brilliant football, no backchat, no diving around, no time wasting and very well refereed. I would certainly get a season ticket if we could play at anywhere near this level on even a reasonably consistent level. This was just how football use to be.

JGreenwood
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by JGreenwood » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 am

We pay decent money to watch the likes of Makoma, Spence and Banton - I don't think anyone is going to be on their high horse about the standard of football. Worth remembering Kingfield did host Reading Women for some games last season, so you might be in luck. Not sure if that deal is on the table again for next year.

Red and White Army
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am

I do wonder what level a top women's team would be in the men's pyramid. Based on what I've seen this World Cup i think they would be well below the Conference South.

Sunbrow
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Sunbrow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 am

Perhaps Dowse could get a friendly arranged for charity against the England team, not a physical game but purely on a skill factor. I think a lot of people would be very surprised at the standard of ladies football.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am

I remember when the England Womens Team played Farnborough Reserves. And lost 6-0

Why couldn't it be a physical game against a ladies team ?, they keep telling us they are equal. In fact I'm tired of women wanting equal pay in sport for doing less or performing at a lower level. Football is a physical game after all

Lets start with boxing, make them fight with men and let's see how equal they are
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Red and White Army
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am
I remember when the England Womens Team played Farnborough Reserves. And lost 6-0

Why couldn't it be a physical game against a ladies team ?, they keep telling us they are equal. In fact I'm tired of women wanting equal pay in sport for doing less or performing at a lower level. Football is a physical game after all

Lets start with boxing, make them fight with men and let's see how equal they are
Tennis is the biggest example of inequality - they get paid the same as men even thought their ability is much less and a lot less people are interested. The stadium was half empty for Jo Konta's Semi Final at the French Open.

For football, people just cherry pick attendance figures when people get let in for free. For example it was widely reported that 60,000 people went to watch Atletico's women because hardly any of them paid. What wasn't reported was that the attendance for their 5 games before that was 511. To quote the journalist Martin Samuel 'It would be like taking the crowd that lines the Thames to watch the Boat Race as indicative of the weekly interest in the Cambridge University rowing team.'

The average attendance in the Women's Super League is 937, how is that meant to fund a fully professional league?

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am

Because Wimmin is equal innit

Their argument that they should be allowed to drive in F1 was to set up their own championship for , you've guessed it. Women only

Same prize money for women at Wimbledon for two sets in most finals. If you want the same money do the same job at the same levels which is what happens in business
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Bertie
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: Barnet, North London
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Bertie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am
Because Wimmin is equal innit

Their argument that they should be allowed to drive in F1 was to set up their own championship for , you've guessed it. Women only

Same prize money for women at Wimbledon for two sets in most finals. If you want the same money do the same job at the same levels which is what happens in business
You've missed your vocation in life, you really should work in HR

Opps............

Red and White Army
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:39 am

Bertie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am
Because Wimmin is equal innit

Their argument that they should be allowed to drive in F1 was to set up their own championship for , you've guessed it. Women only

Same prize money for women at Wimbledon for two sets in most finals. If you want the same money do the same job at the same levels which is what happens in business
You've missed your vocation in life, you really should work in HR

Opps............
Women are over-represented in HR which doesn't appear to be an issue. But if men are over-represented in any industry it's automatically a DISASTER.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

I work in HR as one of 13 men out of 73

We have a drive right now to put more women into management positions. If you have two equal candidates, one male and one female then you pick the woman !
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Card is King
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

Re: Womens football.

Post by Card is King » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

In my opinion women’s football, is football played badley. Currently being rammed down the throat of the public by every media outlet just to show how inclusive they are.

Some of the comments on hear made me check that I wasn’t on the Dulwich board!

Sunbrow
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Sunbrow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am
I remember when the England Womens Team played Farnborough Reserves. And lost 6-0

Why couldn't it be a physical game against a ladies team ?, they keep telling us they are equal. In fact I'm tired of women wanting equal pay in sport for doing less or performing at a lower level. Football is a physical game after all

Lets start with boxing, make them fight with men and let's see how equal they are
My wife tells me that the intelligence of a women is far superior than being told that men are stronger physically. When I get home tonight and slump in my chair I'll ask her again while she's cooking my dinner, doing the hoovering, making the bed,washing up,mowing the lawn,and washing my clothes.

kansasCard
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Downtown Kansas City Missouri
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 165 times
Contact:

Re: Womens football.

Post by kansasCard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm

I watched the USA / Thailand game and the difference in abilities was clear to see. The Thai goal keeper was desperately exposed. Woman's 'soccer' here in the US is a big deal, the skill levels are improving every day. Will they ever be a fast / strong as professional men - No Is it bad football - No
You can't compare the female professional national game to the men's or professional leagues to the men's. There is no comparison. If you watch men's (quality) football enough you'll always see a huge gap in comparable levels. Having played against many ladies over here - I'll tell you they are really really good - compared to me. I could have used my physicality and played my 'usual' game but then I'd be 'that dick' It was tough ' playing in the same competitive league games with them. I also boxed / full thai in the UK at a pretty good standard - trained with many ladies and sparred with dozens. Same issue - they can be good - really really good.. but you just cannot beat on them. It's not in a man's nature to do so. Michelle Wie and Annika Sorenstam golf was another example of sponsors attempting to prove that a woman could compete with the boys. Neither made a cut and subsequently we no longer see it attempted. Equality is one thing - allow equal access to all sports across the board, But in reality very very few woman will ever be able to mix it with a man in any kind of professional sports capacity.
This space intentionally left blank

Texas Dave
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 am
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Texas Dave » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Like Kansas card I have enjoyed some of the WWC but the USA game prompted me to remark "if Thailand are the 34th best team in the world (fifa rankings) who is 35th...……... The spice girls?
VAR has been a part of this tourney already and I'm still not convinced of its value, the penalty for France was very dodgy imho.

Sunbrow
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Sunbrow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Card is King wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm
In my opinion women’s football, is football played badley. Currently being rammed down the throat of the public by every media outlet just to show how inclusive they are.

Some of the comments on hear made me check that I wasn’t on the Dulwich board!
Don't forget that when men started playing football in the 1900 they probably weren't any better then,so that statement isn't strictly true.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

And don't forget the darts world championships. Two top women from the BDO

Both out in the first round. Lisa Ashton did take a set but even Jan Dekker saw her off with ease . Anastasia, well, it was pitiful
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

GodalmingCard
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Womens football.

Post by GodalmingCard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 am

Don’t we have to remember that the women’s game is in its infancy compared to the men’s. Of course it’s a different standard to the men’s game. But In the last few years that standard has massively increased. If the coverage of the World Cup encourages more girls to play and helps in the development of the women’s games then fantastic, and if you don’t like it just switch over. I for one have enjoyed the championship, apart from that japan / Argentina game.
Anyway good luck to the women tonight I hope they smash Argentina - I’m sure we can all agree on that.

MattA
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by MattA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am

Red and White Army wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 am
I remember when the England Womens Team played Farnborough Reserves. And lost 6-0

Why couldn't it be a physical game against a ladies team ?, they keep telling us they are equal. In fact I'm tired of women wanting equal pay in sport for doing less or performing at a lower level. Football is a physical game after all

Lets start with boxing, make them fight with men and let's see how equal they are
Tennis is the biggest example of inequality - they get paid the same as men even thought their ability is much less and a lot less people are interested. The stadium was half empty for Jo Konta's Semi Final at the French Open.

For football, people just cherry pick attendance figures when people get let in for free. For example it was widely reported that 60,000 people went to watch Atletico's women because hardly any of them paid. What wasn't reported was that the attendance for their 5 games before that was 511. To quote the journalist Martin Samuel 'It would be like taking the crowd that lines the Thames to watch the Boat Race as indicative of the weekly interest in the Cambridge University rowing team.'

The average attendance in the Women's Super League is 937, how is that meant to fund a fully professional league?

In many ways the female tennis players get paid more than men.

Because they only play 3 sets in grand slams, the Williams sisters have been able to play and win singles and doubles titles.

Where as when Nadal plays Djokovic it’s a 5 set all afternoon marathon.

MattA
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by MattA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am
I work in HR as one of 13 men out of 73

We have a drive right now to put more women into management positions. If you have two equal candidates, one male and one female then you pick the woman !
What about the other men that think you’re a woman (you certainly drink like one), they think there’s only 12 men out of 73

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4011
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:17 am

I actually drink like an old lady of 73
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

oakie
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by oakie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 pm

kansasCard wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm
... in reality very very few woman will ever be able to mix it with a man in any kind of professional sports capacity.
Amply evidenced by Castor Semenya's dominance in the mixed middle distance running events

Stoo
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by Stoo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Godalming Town reserves would beat the women's world cup winners. Nothing to do with skill, mere physicality. The goalkeepers are perceived as poor because they're shorter and made to play in full size goals.
Some of the skill levels are very high, it just doesn't really interest me very much.

I'd like to see mixed rugby league.
Preferably Saints men v Wigan women.

northeast card
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm
Location: Middlesbrough
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Womens football.

Post by northeast card » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Stoo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 pm
Godalming Town reserves would beat the women's world cup winners. Nothing to do with skill, mere physicality. The goalkeepers are perceived as poor because they're shorter and made to play in full size goals.
Some of the skill levels are very high, it just doesn't really interest me very much.

I'd like to see mixed rugby league.
Preferably Saints men v Wigan women.

Are you sure? Some of the female pie eaters would scare the hell out of me.

Des D Moaner
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:34 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Womens football.

Post by Des D Moaner » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Couldn't resist this...
Rearrange the letters of Caster Semenya and what do you get?

wokingcardinal
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Womens football.

Post by wokingcardinal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Des D Moaner wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Couldn't resist this...
Rearrange the letters of Caster Semenya and what do you get?
Bored?


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], vwatercard and 21 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries