Post by Baldman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Meerkat won’t be happy with an article praising Dowse

Lurker

Re: Good article

Post by Lurker » Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Baldman wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:28 pm
Meerkat won’t be happy with an article praising Dowse
More an excuse for self-praise, I'd say!

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Cardsharp ought to read that - he should be ashamed when you see all that Dowse has done for the club, the community etc etc
Some of our supporters are a disgrace

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm

I certainly don't think anyone should be able to question the fact that he's clearly a fantastic person who has been a breath of fresh air for the club. No one in my memory has accomplished or attempted as much to help the club in such a short space of time and the fact that he's managed to do that on top of leading us to accomplishments on the pitch as well is a huge testament to his efforts over the last 12 months.

I probably count myself in the camp of not being fully convinced about his actual management level and some of his decisions regarding players, tactics etc - and that's fine. No one is perfect and I don't think we as fans should criticise anyone who points this out. But when you stop and consider the mess we were in when we took over, what he's actually delivered this year purely in terms of the level of success, added to all his brilliant work supporting players, local charities, engaging the community and so on - then it really should make even his most ardent doubters show some respect.

We really couldn't have asked much more from any manager this year in terms of promotion and an FA Cup run, how we got there - the players we used, the dips in form - really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I for one hope he learns from the good and the bad of the last year and we're able to kick on in the National.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 pm
Cardsharp ought to read that - he should be ashamed when you see all that Dowse has done for the club, the community etc etc
Some of our supporters are a disgrace
You ought to read what I post more carefully and not misinterpret it.

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm

I do, and you always have to have a dig don't you , mostly with some sort of hidden agenda . I wish I could write like Glen though, beautifully written and much better than my tirades of abuse.

Stjohn

Post by Stjohn » Fri May 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Dowse has been fantastic for our club and the town. We are very lucky to have him

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat May 18, 2019 9:19 am

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I do, and you always have to have a dig don't you , mostly with some sort of hidden agenda . I wish I could write like Glen though, beautifully written and much better than my tirades of abuse.
Not always.

I have stated that I am delighted we got promoted. We've had a really good season in terms of getting promoted and a cup run.

A little context, although a season ticket holder, due to health related issues, I only started seeing games regularly after Watford. After which we were a mid table team. Whilst the end result of getting promoted has been amazing, how we got there less so. Still, it's the end that matters right? Also, my job involves a lot of analysis, looking for improvements, so maybe I tend to focus on the negatives.

This season has been much better than last. I'm far from a fan of some of the football Dowse has served. He is clearly a great bloke, where have I said he wasn't?

This is new territory for Dowse and I hope he rises to the challenge. He is clearly a determined fella. Most of us are in agreement that there the squad needs a massive overhaul, so will be interesting. Our budget should be competitive enough to make us stay up.

MattA

Post by MattA » Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am

We will likely be one of only two sides that are part-time in the national league, and I would think the full time teams will all have bigger playing budgets. I think Chorley will be a part-time, and will be another club with a similar budget to ourselves. So I would guess our budget will be smaller than 22 of the teams in the league.

photocard

Post by photocard » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am

I understand what you're saying Matt A, but we know from experience that cheap full time squads are not as good as top part time ones. You get the absolute dross of players who want to remain full time whereas you get players who are easily good enough to play full time but have other careers and decide to stay part time. Whilst I have no doubt there will be a lot of full time sides who will have big enough budget to have very good sides; however I would back us against a lot of the sides who have recently gone full time but probably shouldn't.

I'm also not sure how much of a difference the extra training and fitness makes these days. Players keep themselves very fit outside of football, and unless you have the quality of coaching the extra training will have minimal impact too. 15 years ago the difference was huge you had fat unfit lumbering centre backs up against fit full time players, that's not really the case these days at this level.

I agree with most (including Dowse) that there's only a handful of player who can make the step up, but I'm confident with the momentum of going up, and that Dowse will get the quality in, that we'll survive next year. The challenge will be maintaining the upward momentum, there are quite a few clubs who have come up and done pretty well for a couple of years, even flirting with the play offs, then dramatically falling back down again.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am

You only have to look at how fit we were under Garry and Thommo to realise PT and FT team's fitness can be quite similar. We used to play most teams off the park in the final 20 minutes of games. Well maybe not 16/17, but you get my drift

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 am

KT15 Card wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am
You only have to look at how fit we were under Garry and Thommo to realise PT and FT team's fitness can be quite similar. We used to play most teams off the park in the final 20 minutes of games. Well maybe not 16/17, but you get my drift
But that's because the players weren't genuinely part-time under Hill and Thompson. Most didn't have other jobs, and those that did mainly worked as personal fitness trainers. There's a massive difference between being in the gym all day and sitting in a school classroom, buying and selling used cars, training as a journalist or working behind a desk in a solicitor's office.

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Sat May 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Didn't the last 20 minutes against Torquay prove the difference between full time and part time? As has been said our previous recent part time teams weren't really that part time. It was more 3/4 time football plus maybe a side job to make up the difference. It will be interesting to see how some of our players get on with genuine full time 9 to 5 jobs plus commuting then focusing on a tuesday night match away at full time Hartlepool.

Waverley

Post by Waverley » Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 pm

I see the crowd criticising poor performances got another mention in there as well

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Lurker wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 am
KT15 Card wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am
But that's because the players weren't genuinely part-time under Hill and Thompson. Most didn't have other jobs, and those that did mainly worked as personal fitness trainers. There's a massive difference between being in the gym all day and sitting in a school classroom, buying and selling used cars, training as a journalist or working behind a desk in a solicitor's office.
Maybe more due to the fact our budget was probably double what it is now. Not sure our players back in 14/15 were that much fitter, they were just a lot better players.

I do wonder how Casey and Cook will manage to play every game next season. Better start saving up their annual leave now. Hodges surely won’t be available for any Tuesday night away games oop north.

MattA

Post by MattA » Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 pm

You certainly can gain some benefits from attracting the best part-time footballers, as opposed to attracting the worst full-time ones. The point was simply that we will have a budget that is very much at the lower end of the scale, not to suggest it means we will not be able to compile a squad capable of staying in the division. We should be able to build a team capable of finishing above the relegation zone, and hopefully somewhere nearer the middle of the table. I think any expectations beyond that are a little unrealistic.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm

The difference between full and part time isn’t just fitness it is organisation.
Full time training means more time to make sure players understand the system and each other.
And plenty of time to practice defending set pieces - certainly didn’t seem that Hill and Thompson found much time for that....

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Maybe more due to the fact our budget was probably double what it is now.
Where do you get this stuff from 😂

At the time it was publicised as 300k. In reality it might have been more, but what makes you think our budget is going to be under 200k now?

MattA

Post by MattA » Sun May 19, 2019 4:31 am

The published accounts would probably reveal the size of the playing budget each season.

As far as I recollect the budget was trimmed a fair bit after the 2015-16 season. Hence Ricketts and Rendell both left after the reduced terms offered fell a little short of what they required

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 am

I don’t think the accounts separate out the playing budget from the other operating expenses, and don’t list what is or isn’t included

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Cardinal96 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:29 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Maybe more due to the fact our budget was probably double what it is now.
Where do you get this stuff from 😂

At the time it was publicised as 300k. In reality it might have been more, but what makes you think our budget is going to be under 200k now?
Do you really think we had Rendell, Morgan, Murtagh, Payne etc on a £300k budget?