Sensible discussion about why..

Waverley

Sensible discussion about why..

Post by Waverley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 pm

...Jack Cook has been dropped....could we have one??

It is just bizarre...,.I would give him player of the year or close to if Casey wins it and now he's out of the team

I am right behind Dowson - 75%ish certain he's gonna get us promoted one way or the other but the dropping of Cook is pissing me right off

PatsWFC

Re: Sensible discussion about why..

Post by PatsWFC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Unless there is some clause that he has to play, I’d say Cook will be back in next week.
Has it been said if Cook is carrying some sort of knock?

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:29 pm

It’s simply down to having a left footed player playing on the centre left who has a reputation of heading, blocking and clearing well.
However, reputations can be wrong and I’d simply say Cooks stock is on the up where Diarras is in the wain.

I’ve also said elsewhere that Gerring had a couple of stinkers before he settled down. Time and patience if we trust Dowse as he’s pretty quick to ship out if not working.
I prefer Jack but trust what Dowse sees and hears doing his job the rest of the week when we are at our days jobs.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Gerring looked dreadful in his first couple of games.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 pm

But when Gerring joined it was early on in the season. With 7 games left we don’t have the luxury to change a settled defence which had played 90% of our games so far and allow a new player a few poor games to ‘settle in’.

I get the feeling that a big part of why Dowse signed Diarra is that he can chip in with a few goals - not the reason you pick defenders though.

I’m fully behind Dowse as well and he’s got 95% of decisions right (dropping Berti was the only other one I think was strange) but he’s got this one wrong.

Cardinal Glory

Post by Cardinal Glory » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Clearly if your new to this forum your view is not sensible and not worthy of discussion even if it exactly the same point as those established. Bunch of pricks

TWR

Post by TWR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:16 am

Isn't Cook just being rested as he's played a large majority of the games without a break?
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:18 am

Maybe it's literally just that Cook played about 35 games without a break and needed a rest for a few games? That was the reason Dowse gave after all. Diarra is a player he knows well too and someone with plenty of experience in the league above. Whilst he might not be performing as well as hoped, although we are unbeaten with him in the team, it's not as though we've thrown in an unknown quantity with no experience at this crucial stage of the season. For what it's worth I also rate Cook highly and likewise suspect he'll be back next week - but some of the criticism of Diarra is totally ridiculous.

Farncombe Card

Post by Farncombe Card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:04 am

When Cook plays he brings the ball forward into space when he can. Tuesday night at Oxford Gerring and Diarra Didn't do that often just passing square to either Cassey/ Collier. Today I watched Diarra and he's a very tall lad, but he's not comfortable on the ball under pressure. I'd have Gerring and Cook as centre backs all day long.
I feel cook is so unlucky to be on the bench

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:30 am

I didn't go yesterday, but did we really concede 3 goals because of Diarra? I doubt it.

Conceding 3 goals when you are trying to win a league is poor. I'd be surprised if it's all one players fault

JAM

Post by JAM » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:57 am

I would agree that the goals we conceded yesterday were not completely down to Diarra but it seems to me that the back four has been disrupted unnecessarily. Getting & Cook seemed to have a good partnership and the whole back 5 (Ross included) were comfortably as a team. It comes across that Casey, Gerring & Ross aren't that comfortable with Diarra.
I realise that we haven't lost since he has been in the team, but a point at Hungerford and an ugly win at Oxford aren't exactly what a team trying to win the league need. It was a good point yesterday, something the majority of us would have taken before KO, but we are doing it the hard way, & whilst Diarra isn't the only reason for the recent poor performances, he seems to be a big part of it.

KT14_Card

Post by KT14_Card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 am

Like many have mentioned before regarding game time. Cook has played a lot of games, continuously so its only fair he had a rest leading up to the final push where we could do with a fully fit and ready team. An ugly win doesn't matter, the three points do! Plus a draw to a team in 3rd with the best home record and most in form team is a good result. We'll be fine

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 pm

If Cook needs a rest why don’t Casey, Collier or Gerring need a rest considering they’ve all played about 30 consecutive games?

KT14_Card

Post by KT14_Card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Every player has different attributes and abilities. Maybe Jack's not as fit as the others?

JAM

Post by JAM » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Quick question. if Jack needs a rest, which seems to be the only reason to drop him, why didn't Dowse just use Gayle, a player who the rest of the squad know and seemed to be comfortable in that position earlier in the season.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:41 pm

JAM wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm
Quick question. if Jack needs a rest, which seems to be the only reason to drop him, why didn't Dowse just use Gayle, a player who the rest of the squad know and seemed to be comfortable in that position earlier in the season.
He covered this in one of the interviews. He just thinks Diarra is better. Sounds like it isn’t as obvious to everyone else, but we’ve hardly struggled since he signed.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm

The NLP gave Moussa a rating of Seven yesterday, the highest of any of our defenders.

More generally, our team are playing like champions, turning likely draws into wins and losses into draws. They should be full of confidence and belief going into these last few games, and the fans are playing their part.Well done all!

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Seeing as last nights thread got deleted I’ll reiterate my point.

I put this down to Dowsons handling of it all. It’s very similar to the Wassmer saga and in my opinion he should have learnt from that.

I like Dowson. I really respect what he’s achieved so far and he has my full support but he’s too open when it comes to certain aspects of his recruiting process for my liking.

If Diarra became available and he thought it was too good an opportunity to turn down then great. Just bring him in. Don’t tell us he’s this and that and he has to play. It just pressurises the situation unnecessarily in my opinion. Just let the player do your talking for you. Now after the weekend he’s saying Cook will probably come back in or he has to play a 3 as it hasn’t worked that great.

NeilC

Post by NeilC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Cardinals Rule wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm
The NLP gave Moussa a rating of Seven yesterday, the highest of any of our defenders.

More generally, our team are playing like champions, turning likely draws into wins and losses into draws. They should be full of confidence and belief going into these last few games, and the fans are playing their part.Well done all!
If he was a seven, I am a monkeys uncle! He had a bad day at the office which happens but when you have Cook sitting on the bench, it seems strange he is playing.

Casey absolutely ripped Diarra a new one after one of the goals, presumably for not covering LB.

We got away with it yesterday without doubt.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:05 am

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:41 pm
JAM wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm
He covered this in one of the interviews. He just thinks Diarra is better. Sounds like it isn’t as obvious to everyone else, but we’ve hardly struggled since he signed.
Have you seen our performances recently??

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am

I must admit, our performance are a little worrying but right now its all about the results isn't it ?

While Little, Edser and Jolley were all together we played our best football of the season and still got results so all was good. Right now we need people to scrap and dig out a result just like we have done in the last two games
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am

And I forgot to add Loza, he was integral to our style during that period. He's been a huge loss

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am
And I forgot to add Loza, he was integral to our style during that period. He's been a huge loss
This.

We've not even come close to replacing Loza yet.

More of the same from Allisani and we might have the solution - I just don't think we've worked out how to get him into the game enough yet.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:28 am

Yep. Having said all of the above, Welling are a very good side, a superb home record and Torquay recently lost there. Despite not playing that well we still got a result

We've pretty much secured a play off spot now. At the start of the season I'd have taken that so the first job is done

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm

This is worrying as I’m agreeing with most of what KE is saying. The performances are a worry but we’re getting the results and at this stage of the season that is all that matters. One thing this team are showing of late is a resilience to keep going right to the final whistle.