Match Thread Welling A VNLS

photocard

Re: Match Thread Welling A VNLS

Post by photocard » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Thought we weren’t bad 1st half, and should have equalised with the one scrambled off the line. They scored 3 goals with 4 attempts 1st half, mostly decent finishes to be fair. 2nd half we were awful, for most of it losing every 2nd ball, just not at the races. So to come away with a point is a massive achievement, and a great strike from Allassani. I think the conditions played a fairly big part in the game it was definitely easier to play with the wind behind. Anyway definitely a point gained.

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm

"4,4,2.
The back five take care of themselves.
Hodges Little Max Alessani
......Bradbury Hyde

There are goals and physicality in that team."

This team would have won this match.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

mussy

Post by mussy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Was always going to be a tough game. Great point considering. As fans all we can ask is the team never give up.

photocard

Post by photocard » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

‘The back 5 take care of themselves’, really! Maybe with Cook back in they do.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:43 pm

jonwoozley wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm
"4,4,2.
The back five take care of themselves.
Hodges Little Max Alessani
......Bradbury Hyde

There are goals and physicality in that team."

This team would have won this match.
Doubt it - we were overrun in midfield enough as it was, let alone without a defensive midfielder.

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm still not sure how we managed to get away with something from that game. Apart from a 20 minute spell in the first half where we scored (and Gerring really should have equalised) were second best all over the pitch. Welling deserved their lead at half time and Dowse was obviously pissed off with the lack of quality/effort because he sent us back out 5 minutes early. It didn't have any effect though, we were just as lethargic and listless in the second half.

Allassani's first contribution to the game was an absolutely amazing shot from 20 yards right into the top corner. It would grace any league in the world, it was that good. Definitely one to watch on the highlights. His second was a scrappy, scuffed finish which bounced in off the post but nobody cared, it was just amazing. I can't fault the mental resilience of our team, that was an object lesson in never giving up even when you're 3-1 down away from home and playing shit. And although we didn't deserve a point based on our overall performance, it was so, so satisfying to see those cheating shitbags at Welling throw away a two goal lead.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Just like tuesday and some never say die spirit getting us a result.
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Bizarrely there were three of the worst defended goals this season (but decent finishes) and three of our better goals. First and third were lovely moves and Reece’s shot was just about perfect, right in the stanchion (though the defender who got rolled by the distinctly non-unit Reece won’t be wanting to watch it again.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 pm

I think the point Dowse mentioned about time wasting in his Friday catch up is quite relevant - he was annoyed when spent the 2nd half away to Torquay trying to slow everything down rather than trying to play our natural game.

That was Welling’s undoing today imo - they actually played some decent stuff in the first half, were very good on the counter and deserved to be 3-1 up. 2nd half they resorted to more shithouse tactics, taking forever on goal kicks and throws and generally slowing the game down.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 pm

I thought we left a massive gap between down the left hand side between the midfield and defence which Welling exploited in the first half. Whose job it was to cover that gap with three central midfielders in front of the back three I’m not sure and I don’t think they were either.

I can’t say there were any half decent performances from
any of our players with Hyde wanting at too many touches, Max cutting a very frustrated figure or Hodges not at his menacing best running at players. Olu got bullied and how do we manage to let players get round us to win firsts and second balls from behind our players backs? Diarra has had his stinker (remember Gerring had those before he settled down) but how Jack Cook can watch that and think he doesn’t deserve to be back in is beyond me.
Also, where was Greg today? This sort of game may have suited him as their central defenders were the biggest unorganised shower of shit I’ve seen all season.

However, what really does my head in is this pissy moaning and stropping when a player falls over of feels they were fouled and sit shouting at the ref. For fucks sake, play to the whistle. It’s day one stuff and when the ref blows to start, you don't stop until he blows it again or you are dead! Play the game !!!

We were crap in the first half and coulda/shoulda played better as a team but didn’t. The boys stuck together in the second, dug in and ground out a point from a very poor position which keeps us top. What did make a difference was those players that didn’t just walk when they lost the ball or throw their hands up but ran back and worked again. It took a while to figure that out. That attitude is what might, just possibly give us an extra point over second place at the end of the season. We shall see and fingers crossed.

3-3 from 3-1 down v the best home team in the league. Possible goal of the season that’s still rattling the net supports. A found belief not to give in as things can happen.....
it’s not all bad after all.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 pm

We weren’t crap all first half.
We had a great spell up to the impossible to not score moment that we didn’t score.
Just let in horrible goals

photocard

Post by photocard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 am

Meerkat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 pm
We weren’t crap all first half.
We had a great spell up to the impossible to not score moment that we didn’t score.
Just let in horrible goals
Exactly how I saw it, some of the football was decent from us 1st half. As poor as our defending was for some of their goals they had four attempts and scored three. If we’d equalised at 2:1, I think we might have won the game. However a point at the team with the best home record is a good result; remember Torquay lost 2:0 there.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 am

Exactly.they are a good side and that was a good point
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

northeast card

Post by northeast card » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 pm

My take on yesterday
We played some good stuff in the first half but defended poorly. Welling looked likely to score every time they put us under pressure.
Diarra was poor but can’t be blamed solely for the way our defence was all over the place. Agree that had we taken the very good chance to level when it was 2-1, there could have been a different outcome.
What hasn’t been mentioned is that conditions were difficult because of the strong wind particularly in the first half.
The game drifted a bit in the second half, mainly due to the home team’s “game management” tactics. Welling’s niggling, cheating and play-acting is still alive and kicking!
The introduction of Alessani changed the game and his first goal (which I can’t wait to see again) gave us belief that we could get something out of the game and we kept fighting to the final whistle looking the stronger side.
A very open and entertaining match and a well earned point.

Broker

Post by Broker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Just a thought I would like to see Hester-Cook in midfield understand he is young but didn’t let us down earlier in the season, a few yellows but is strong in the tackle and can make a pass. Not sure Durojaiye is any better, experience maybe? You never know with the exuberance of youth no fear etc? Can he be called back?

oakie

Post by oakie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 am
Exactly.they are a good side and that was a good point
How valuable might the three additional points salvaged at the death this week prove come the end of the campaign? Certainly can't fault this bunch for their heart and never say die attitude