Solihull Moors

Cardsfan

Solihull Moors

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

Does anyone know the background to their inspirational rise to the top of the National League?

Do they have a wealthy backer?
Is Tim Flowers just a brilliant manager?
Are they flukey?

I've no idea what circumstances are delivering their current success.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 40 years.
www.oldfootballgames.co.uk - always looking to buy old football games

darreng

Re: Solihull Moors

Post by darreng » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 am

Wealthy backer from the middle of last season.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

Do they have a wealthy backer?
Is Tim Flowers just a brilliant manager?
Are they flukey?
Yes to all 3 questions

Wealthy backer came on board last season but, as has been shown plenty of times, unless you have the right manager, money means nothing.
And no one gets to the top of the league without a slice of good luck

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Can anyone confirm if they’ll win 3 more games this season?

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:03 pm
Are they playing Aldershot again?

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Why would you spunk loads of money on Solihull ?

Why not a nice club in Surrey with loads of potential ( and a 10,000 stadium WITH terraces !)

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Listening to Tim Flowers’ interview on the BT highlights show a few weeks back, he was speaking as if they had the smallest budget in the league and it was a MIRACLE that they were even in the top half.

I’d imagine they have a playoff level budget. Still a very good achievement to be top though.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Would that ground even get into the FL? Ground is in a bizarre location too. Where would a big following park their cars? On the dual carriageway?

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:03 pm
Are they playing Aldershot again?
Certain relegation for Aldershot if they were to play a few more v Solihull.

Talking of The Shots, i might start a thread here for fellow Shots fans, because shotsweb, rife with rumours, is suddenly barely functioning/often down. Odd, that, ho hum. It's hosted by a sponsor, if my memory serves me.

GardenGareth

Post by GardenGareth » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 pm

scorp wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Certain relegation for Aldershot if they were to play a few more v Solihull.

Talking of The Shots, i might start a thread here for fellow Shots fans, because shotsweb, rife with rumours, is suddenly barely functioning/often down. Odd, that, ho hum. It's hosted by a sponsor, if my memory serves me.
I've heard its not only their forum that is often down down but things like their club bar are also going down the toilet. I know a few Shots fans and my Dad is friends with one of them. He says things like how the bar has never got any beers in it any more and things like that.

It's as if they given up and have turned their back on the club and the fans.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Did a bit of digging, because I didn't know the answer.

Their squad last year was half decent, but properly mismanaged - they picked up 11 points in their first 20 games last year, and their only wins were against Chester (utter shit), Torquay (shit), and Eastleigh (meh). Replaced their manager with a bloke who lasted literally less than a month, and then they brought in Mark Yates with Tim Flowers as his assistant.

Those two stemmed the losses a bit between then and Christmas, and then they had a bloody brilliant January window. Players like Osborne, Williams, Reckford and Storer are still fundamental to the team that's top of the league. They lost three games from Feb onwards, and most of the teams around them were shit (as we well know), so they rocketed up.

Wealthy owners come in in the summer - Yates was poached by a league club, but Flowers stayed and knew the players/system already. Most of the squad they wanted stayed on, so there was already an understanding of player relationships and the system they were playing. Strengthened in key areas - somehow got a keeper who played 22 games for Port Vale in League 2 last year - and found a crop of forwards that is banging in goals for fun.

In short: good manager(s), lots of money, good squad management, and multiple good transfer windows in a row.

darreng

Post by darreng » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Wealthy owner was pumping money in from January 2018, hence the transfer window. He couldn’t take ownership earlier for legal reasons.

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm
somehow got a keeper who played 22 games for Port Vale in League 2 last year - and found a crop of forwards that is banging in goals for fun.
Well, we've got a keeper who played 33 times in League Two last season, which I think proves...something - he's very good, anyway.

Thank you for this information. It's incredible how quickly increased budgets, generally, make a difference.