Woking Community Stadium development moves a step closer

Cardinals Rule

Re: Woking Community Stadium development moves a step closer

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Cardelia wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 pm
Have I missed some aspect of the plans which mean that we can't stay at Kingfield, with a reduced capacity if necessary, whilst the building works are ongoing?
I think it will be a huge building site, so I shouldn’t think we could
Cardelia wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm
[quote=darreng post_id=90734 time=<a href="tel:1549976302">1549976302</a> user_id=97]
My concern is that groundsharing, even for a single season, will kill our attendances.
It will have a very negative effect; it did for Dorking when combined with a project overrun.
I think I’d find it tricky to get to Farnborough on a regular basis, even if I found out where it was.
[/quote]
Rosemary mentioned some of the FA cup money being held back as a war chest for when we move out, so there is at least an awareness of this issue.
[/quote]
That is the right mindset to have, but I suspect that money would be a drop in the ocean in the context of the proposed project (and it may be that we are actually spending some of that money now - Tarpedo, etc!)

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Sunbrow wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 pm
Dorking is the best bet, we wouldn't have to resort to hoofball halfway through a season because of the pitch, Dowse could do his fifty laps round the ground without setting foot on the pitch, and think of all the money we'd save not going to Blackpool to get five tons of sand
Anyone remember what the move to Dorking did for Guildford city?

It's not a good idea. The A25 was a nightmare then and still is, not much has changed apart from more cars on the road!

Nico

Post by Nico » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:09 pm

That was very different in that Guildford's stadium was basically bulldozed and there was no plan where to move the club locally. It was a tragedy in that the town and Council basically destroyed the club. Guildford's attitude to football and having a senior club hasn't changed which, on one hand, is despicable but it has benefitted us as a large proportion of our fan base is Guildford based

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Sunbrow wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 pm
Dorking is the best bet, we wouldn't have to resort to hoofball halfway through a season because of the pitch, Dowse could do his fifty laps round the ground without setting foot on the pitch, and think of all the money we'd save not going to Blackpool to get five tons of sand
You seem a tad obsessed with Dorking Wanderers and Meadowbank, you’re not a Surrey FA councillor are you?

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Nico wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:09 pm
That was very different in that Guildford's stadium was basically bulldozed and there was no plan where to move the club locally. It was a tragedy in that the town and Council basically destroyed the club. Guildford's attitude to football and having a senior club hasn't changed which, on one hand, is despicable but it has benefitted us as a large proportion of our fan base is Guildford based
It may be the fact there was no light at the end of the tunnel but the guildford and dorking thing died a slow death as the guildford fans gradually declined because of the 30-40 minute journey to see a home match.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:16 pm

What happened with Hayes as well? Didn’t they run out of money whilst sharing with us?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 pm

“Chair of the recently formed Hoebridge & Old Woking Neighbourhood Forum. I declined to join upon hearing this. Also involves two of the local councillors.”

Shouldn’t you be getting on the inside so you can keep an eye on them?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:16 pm
What happened with Hayes as well? Didn’t they run out of money whilst sharing with us?
Their money ran out after about 2-3 seasons, resulting in a half built ground because they couldn’t pay the builders.

They moved to the new ground (after about 5 seasons I think) and had to move back out again because of health and safety concerns.

They permanently moved in to their new ground after at least 3 relegations.

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:36 pm
Who the freck gave planning permission for the Woking Towers - so tall and out of place !

At farnborough - we would only get 1000 in the conference and maybe 800 in the south.

Moving out does not aways go well , as the examples explain state

It would be a logistical head ache, but even if kept the LGS open that would be enough for us. We could survive with onside

Also could we not use westfeild for cup games ?
The council have a vested interest in the Victoria Square towers. The flats aren't going to be sold, they will be rented out, which is how they got away with not having any affordable housing allocation and only making a relatively small financial contribution to the social housing pot. Willmott Dixon are developing the three Goldsworth Road towers and are also going to rent out a number of them. There are other smaller towers either consented or going for planning. The council want to bring more people and businesses to Woking and think the new towers and the Hilton Hotel they are also going to build is the way to do it. It's either going to look like a proper mini city or a shithole like Croydon.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks for explaining - its a interesting module.

The town is looking good already in some places but do we really need to see Woking from frecking space !

I wonder if we could retain/ gain any of the housing around the ground to rent out for on-going revenue.

gummybear33

Post by gummybear33 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am

Personally I think Farnborough is the best option for a groundshare as it's not too far away I travel to Woking from Hindhead to watch home games so that's not an issue.

For me the issue is the size of the new ground we r already talking about trying to get the atmosphere raised in Kingfield how the hell we gonna do that in a 10,000 seat stadium where nearly 8,500 seats r gonna be empty????? 7000 is more than enough in my opinion

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 am

We only need 4,500 seats to qualify for League football. Assuming that the 25% decrease in capacity puts us at 7,500, that sounds great to me.