Notts County

jonwoozley

Notts County

Post by jonwoozley » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

If you thought Oxford Utd, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere were too big for the Conference, it seems highly likely after today's result that Notts County will be visiting Kingfield next season. They had a crowd of 15, 000 today which is mind blowing at our level. They should be in the Championship. At least it will make up for the Aldershot games once they go down/bust.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

GardenGareth

Re: Notts County

Post by GardenGareth » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 am

I think they were only charging £2 to get into Saturdays game, hence the big crowd. I doubt you will get that kind of support from their fans in the National if they were relegated.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am

They don’t normally get that sort of crowd and they don’t deserve to be in the Championship because their performances over the past 10-20 years say they don’t be.

Still a big club with a lovely ground. I saw Woking lose there in the FA Cup. It was a great day out.

JAM

Post by JAM » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 am

Whilst it is interesting to look at the bottom of Div 2 (& I see that the team that got promoted last year have been renamed Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town), as well as the top of National North, to see who we might be playing next season it would also be good to actually get promoted 1st before this is discussed

Better Red

Post by Better Red » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Both Notts County and ourselves are many games away from having to think about next season (unless somebody can guarantee that we will win all of our remaining games and Notts County will not overhaul 'Sol Campbell's Macclesfield' plus one other).

Considering our possibilities against St Albans is perhaps the most sensible course of action and may prevent hysteria and raised expectations from the more impressionable sections of our support.

And anybody who remembers the two Easter games against Macclesfield and Satanage all those years ago will not need reminding of the highs and lows of the Beautiful Game...

Buspasscard

Post by Buspasscard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for that...... I had just about managed to put that second game behind me!

Mind you wouldn't mind some highlights to re-live the first one again.Over 4,000 packed into Kingfield, 2-1 down with only 10 men, and the original Man of The Match......"The Whole Team."
Happy days.

Better Red

Post by Better Red » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Apologies.

Quite a weekend - shame it ended as it did. And yes, the highlights of the Macclesfield game would be well worth seeing though sadly I am guessing that it was not recorded.

One of many great pre-WFC-TV occasions from the Chapple era that presumably remain only in the memory of those who attended and in the local (or occasionally, National) Press.

Happy days (mostly), indeed.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am

That game could be recreated like Phoenix from the flames, for the benefit of those not there. Bret Williams could volunteer as the bloke who gets Junior Hunter sent off.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:12 pm

“gets Junior Hunter sent off.”

As I remember it Junior did all the work!
He sure liked flying into the tackles

doylie

Post by doylie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Junior kicked the Macc Lad up the arse.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh yeah, just after scoring a decent goal wasn’t it?