WFC TV: Woking 3 - 2 Oxford City (Dowse Interview)

Mick

WFC TV: Woking 3 - 2 Oxford City (Dowse Interview)

Post by Mick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Now on WFC TV.

PatsWFC

Re: WFC TV: Woking 3 - 2 Oxford City (Dowse Interview)

Post by PatsWFC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Bloody love him!! No BS with him, not afraid to call it as he sees it - refreshing stuff.

doylie

Post by doylie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Three wins, nine points, top of the League and we’ve got Dowse on suicide watch.

Honest and refreshing stuff.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am

Bloody hell, what a bloke - a legend already in my eyes - great line doylie - the on suicide watch jibe - very apt. So, so ,so very different from Limbrick and all that corporate crap that came out of his mouth - not to mention the histrionics on the sidelines... Dowse just stands there and growls whether we score or concede - doesn't seem to piss off the other team onto greater effort either ( like Limbrick did cuase at peterboro' away)

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am

You can see just how much he gives a s*** though. It's not about winning with him, it's about getting everything the right way. All you can ask at the end of the day.

I think it proves Dowse will be beating himself up more after a loss, than whatever anybody on here or the local rags say.

Very impressed with the blunt honesty, rather than last year's same old PR driven interview, that could have come after a Super Sunday match on Sky.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:11 am

Don’t want to be the grumpy cynic but my enthusiasm is tempered by how similar this all sounds to last season.
Limbrick was the fresh new style and that helped him create a personality cult that kept him in a job much longer than would have been normal.
It’s looking promising but it’s still early days

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am

Meerkat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:11 am
Don’t want to be the grumpy cynic but my enthusiasm is tempered by how similar this all sounds to last season.
Limbrick was the fresh new style and that helped him create a personality cult that kept him in a job much longer than would have been normal.
Yep - I seem to remember a lot of comments on here about how well Limbrick spoke, particularly at his first press conference.

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 am

nope, don't agree at all.. Limbrick was a Macron type faceless diplomat and gutless wonder ( gutless , as he didn't realise what his tactics were going pear shaped and too arrogant to change it)
Dowson will change it without in a blink , he is a proper manager, not a corporate dummy, and that's what is necessary in this league. But we were lucky yesterday, thats for sure Felt very sorry for Oxford, they never deserved that ridiculous yellow/red card freak of a ref - I reckon only the last yellow card across the whole gameone was a yellow,, but even then the ref gave him a straight red, when there was obviuosly cover

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 pm

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 am
but even then the ref gave him a straight red, when there was obviuosly cover
It was clearly a second yellow and then a red. I am not sure there was "obviously" cover either.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am
Meerkat wrote:
Yep - I seem to remember a lot of comments on here about how well Limbrick spoke, particularly at his first press conference.
Limbrick did speak well at his first press conference. He spoke well the majority of the time. The trouble is that when you say the same thing over and over again then fans begin to lose patience - particularly when results are going against you and you're looking for a bit of fight and passion. It happened to Garry too near the end.

That being said, I think some of the criticism of AL on here is well over the top, just as some of the praise of him in October/November last year was as well, it was just a different style of interview from a man brought up in a Premier League system. To be honest, he was also probably quite nervous, as people forget it was his first foray into men's football and he wouldn't have had the gall to say some of what Dowse has done. That doesn't mean it's not going on behind closed doors.

Do I think he was a tactically stubborn, out of his depth, poorly appointed manager? I do. Would I rather have Dowse? Of course - results aside, his style is much more suited to the level we're at as has been his approach, recruitment and every other aspect of the job he's done so far. But let's lay off Limbrick, it's in the past, and he's certainly not the worst manager we've ever had. I certainly expect him to have a much brighter future in the game than Kim Grant. Or indeed most of the managers we've had since Big Geoff. It was just too much too soon. Time to focus on the here and now and stop using him as a point of comparison - Dowse and Anthony could not be much more different if they tried.
Last edited by GlenH on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:20 pm

The second red was for two clear bookings. First red can feel slightly harshly done by

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:35 pm

The players sent off had only themselves to blame.
They put themselves in a position that made the Ref make a decision.

Two stupid yellows from one player and a clear pull back to prevent a decent chance, that is always a dodgy thing to do.

Dowes’es style is very different than AL but similar to GH and BFG imo.

And those two did ok!

Igor

Post by Igor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:10 pm

I do like his honesty and how down to earth he is. He seems to be coming at this from a completely different place to Limbrick, and being realistic about it. He seems to have high standards and a lack of patience with passengers - interesting to see how this pans out in the coming days and weeks, there could be a bit of a revolving door.

Liked the Hodges interview too. He sounds a good lad.

doylie

Post by doylie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Meerkat wrote:
But it’s the honesty that shines through, when did Limbrick ever admit he’d got it wrong? We’ve maybe rather fortuitously won our first three games on the bounce, the last time that happened Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers were No.1 in the charts - yet he’s actually beating himself up!

Personally I never got caught up in the Oh Anthony Cult, he lost me as soon as he uttered the words “Attitude is more important than ability” seeing Scooter Sharman scurrying around at the back of the club house like a Barbour jacketed Worm Tongue didn’t help matters either. Another factor for me was when “things were going well” many didn’t take on board the fragile existence we were going through. We got absolutely battered against Eastleigh, Sutton and Dagenham yet still some how managed nine points out of them, take some of those nine points out of the equation and it would have given us a much fairer position of where we were at that time.

I suspect that staying in the job longer than he should have had more to do with presententing the bloke with a sparkling three year contract through a dubiously networked and still unexplained interview process.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 pm

I don't think Dowson is necessarily more "honest" than previous managers, but he's clearly a lot cannier in that he sees which way the wind is blowing and then reacts. I read his fairly extensive comments about why he wanted to change the name of Moaner's Corner, about the need for a more positive mindset around the club etc. But as soon as there were a few adverse comments made on here, he immediately gave a club interview in which he used humour to reassure people that he wasn't interested in picking fights with the supporters. But clearly he'd floated the idea in the first place to see what reaction he'd get.

That's fine, he's obviously good at that sort of thing, he has a sense of humour, he's pragmatic and he reads people well, which are all great qualities to have. As long as he keeps winning, nobody will pay too much attention to what he says anyway. They certainly didn't start complaining about Limbrick's interviews until he started losing games.

doylie

Post by doylie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Fair comments Lurker. Dowse got the Moaners’ thing all wrong, it’s a cultural thing that only people who’ve experienced it can explain. As a relative outsider he’s come in, seen the Moaners’ label and for some unknown reason taken a pop at it. I’m sure Moaners’ resident Geoff Chapple must have had a quiet word about that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not setting up a Dowse Sub-Cult here, it’s early doors and I’m sure he’ll make mistakes along the way, I’m just delighted that the veneer of buzzword bullshit has finally been scrapped away from Kingfield.

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm

The interviewer was speaking clearly, I could only barely understand 35,2% of Dowse's talk!
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

doylie

Post by doylie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Don’t worry Bobbo, we all have exactly the same problem.

NeilC

Post by NeilC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Meerkat wrote:
But it’s not similar. Limpdick was positive about everything whether it was shite or not.

We have been less-than-good yet scraped some results. No smokescreen or management-speak bollocks from Dowse. Told it like it is

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 pm

I don't ever recall Limbrick ever saying he made a mistake.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I wasn’t comparing Dowson and Limbrick, I was comparing the reaction to them.
Limbrick was personally popular with a large section of fans because he pushed the right buttons. There was a lot of positivity , particularly after a set of early good results that could actually have easily been losses/draws (just like these three games)

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Interesting he's mentioning moving players out already
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

doylie

Post by doylie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Certainly everyone’s different, but I can’t imagine corporate AL doing this for the cause.

BoingBoing

Post by BoingBoing » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:23 pm

doylie wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm
Certainly everyone’s different, but I can’t imagine corporate AL doing this for the cause.

or running 50 laps of the pitch (with jedward in tow) to raise money to buy a player......top man

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:27 pm

GlenH wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am

Limbrick did speak well at his first press conference. He spoke well the majority of the time. The trouble is that when you say the same thing over and over again then fans begin to lose patience - particularly when results are going against you and you're looking for a bit of fight and passion. It happened to Garry too near the end.

That being said, I think some of the criticism of AL on here is well over the top, just as some of the praise of him in October/November last year was as well, it was just a different style of interview from a man brought up in a Premier League system. To be honest, he was also probably quite nervous, as people forget it was his first foray into men's football and he wouldn't have had the gall to say some of what Dowse has done. That doesn't mean it's not going on behind closed doors.

Do I think he was a tactically stubborn, out of his depth, poorly appointed manager? I do. Would I rather have Dowse? Of course - results aside, his style is much more suited to the level we're at as has been his approach, recruitment and every other aspect of the job he's done so far. But let's lay off Limbrick, it's in the past, and he's certainly not the worst manager we've ever had. I certainly expect him to have a much brighter future in the game than Kim Grant. Or indeed most of the managers we've had since Big Geoff. It was just too much too soon. Time to focus on the here and now and stop using him as a point of comparison - Dowse and Anthony could not be much more different if they tried.
Could not possibly agree more, and the retrospective mauling of AL from fans who were screaming his praises in November is embarrassing. When it got to March and people were screaming at his "melodrama" for regularly getting cautioned in his technical area, nobody remembered how proud they were that he could barely speak in his post-Bury interview. Hindsight is 20/20, and most of us are semi-sighted at best.

So let's not talk about him. Dowson has been here three games, scraping two by his own standards, and could divebomb in the next ten. I love that he's holding himself to an incredibly high standard and clearly disregards everything 'proper' in his interviews, but he needs to walk the walk for us to truly back the talk - and that's what he's asking for, so let's give it to him! The man has had the balls to walk into a job he craves and bollock himself literally more often that not, and if he wins us over on the basis that he wants to, we have a bonafide icon in Woking's recent history. Let's respect him enough for him to set his own standards.