Thoughts?

Cardinal96

Thoughts?

Post by Cardinal96 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Cardbattery

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Cardbattery » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Not travelling up the day before is a stupid mistake, the distance is so far that the chance of disruption is massive so why risk it?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Pointless statement solely designed to deflect from their poor planning and shift the focus on to a few idiots from Barrow. Victim FC.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am

Would we stay in a hotel if it was us?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 am

KT15 Card wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am
I'm pretty sure we've stayed overnight in recent seasons when we've played Barrow (except the time it was on a Tuesday night). I assume that's the only one we'll do an overnight stay for this season though?

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 am

I've never been to Barrow but apparently it's an absolute hole. You can buy a flat there for £20k.

None of this is relevant to their fans sending abusive messages to anyone associated with Dover Athletic.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 am
KT15 Card wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am
I'm pretty sure we've stayed overnight in recent seasons when we've played Barrow (except the time it was on a Tuesday night). I assume that's the only one we'll do an overnight stay for this season though?
As it's a 17:20 kick off I suspect the team may travel up on the day and stay up after the match.

Tbh travelling up on the day of any northern trip has dangers whether travelling by train or coach as both can be delayed. The fact that Dover opted to travel up on the day makes me wonder how skint they really are that for this match they didn't take up the option of staying overnight.

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Rumour has it that Dover were offered a delayed KO, which they refused as it would have meant that they couldn't get home that night. They were also apparently informed they could have returned home on the supporters coach, but they refused that as well.

The fact that they were on the last train from London that would have got them there in time, leaving no time for any delays, is poor organisation.

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Most of the teams travel by train nowadays wherever possible; even Gateshead is a 10 am train from Kings Cross and short taxi or coach journey to the ground and back in London by 10pm. Alternatively with Friday traffic the way it is it can be a 10 am coach (2 drivers) depart, hotel stay ( expensive), loads of time kicking heels and get back to Woking in the early hours of Sunday. For part time players in particular it is a big ask on their holiday time and family over the weekend.

On every level it makes sense and most people think regional leagues from Div 2 downwards make far more economic sense

As far as I know this was the first incident that disrupted fixtures and its also possible that coaches can get caught in extraordinary events - nothing is foolproof

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm

JAM wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm
Rumour has it that Dover were offered a delayed KO, which they refused as it would have meant that they couldn't get home that night. They were also apparently informed they could have returned home on the supporters coach, but they refused that as well.

The fact that they were on the last train from London that would have got them there in time, leaving no time for any delays, is poor organisation.
Agree with the last point re timing of the train. I wonder if Hessenthaller hates trains ugh-day?

But surely travelling back on the supporter's coach isn't as easy as it sounds? Assume some players live in London (I doubt many actually live in Dover) so would make their own way back from Euston whereas the coach would be going all the way back to Dover.

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm
JAM wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Agree with the last point re timing of the train. I wonder if Hessenthaller hates trains ugh-day?

But surely travelling back on the supporter's coach isn't as easy as it sounds? Assume some players live in London (I doubt many actually live in Dover) so would make their own way back from Euston whereas the coach would be going all the way back to Dover.
Hardly any (if any) of the Dover squad live in East Kent - most are London and they train at Maidstone. Bit like Barrow live and train near Manchester - must make it very hard to build spirit between the team and community

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Nico wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Hardly any (if any) of the Dover squad live in East Kent - most are London and they train at Maidstone. Bit like Barrow live and train near Manchester - must make it very hard to build spirit between the team and community
How do we compare Nico? We're lucky to have local lads like Hodgey, but Gerring's commute from Torquay must be an outlier?

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Nico wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm

How do we compare Nico? We're lucky to have local lads like Hodgey, but Gerring's commute from Torquay must be an outlier?
Its distance really. Barrow to North Manchester is similar to Woking / Bath ! Dover to London is more than Woking Swindon - obviously Maidstone splits the differeenc

we are lucky that currently we have a local manager (Walton) and Ian Dyer is quite close. Hodgey is close and our current Gez; many of the others are South London. When our church had a Woking FC morning Craig Ross popped down from Staines area ( and enjoyed it!). Its not back to the days when the whole Celtic European Cup Winners were from 20 miles of Glasgow but it is a lot better than Barrow or Dover

Cornwall Card

Post by Cornwall Card » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Barrow is 374 miles from Dover. Rail travel is known to be iffy at the weekend.
Getting train crews to man the damn things is harder than you think. I know because travelling GWR to get back to Cornwall has been an ask on more than one occasion.
I agree sometimes there's nothing you can do, but getting from Kent to Barrow for a 3pm kick-off is chancing it. Had it been an evening kick-off, there would have been more leeway for disruption.
If you were the League, you'd be scratching your head over this one.
Should clubs be present and correct no matter what, or do you set precedents in the future like this for postponements in the future?

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Not sure any of the players would be coming from Dover way. They train in Maidstone I think so they can attract London based players.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am

The issue is less about the trains being up the swanny and more about Dover's refusal of Barrow's offer to start whenever they got there, to put on a coach, to pay for taxis, to sort a hotel, or to send them back on the Supporters coach. Basically, they couldn't be arsed.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

Was pretty cowardly. Hadn’t they got to Preston? Surely by then you just think “let’s just get it done”.
I reckon one of the directors wanted to be back in time for something and overruled - it’s totally irrational not to make the effort and thereby commit yourself to going to Barrow on a Tuesday night in winter!

alas Tom Jones

Post by alas Tom Jones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:41 am

I'm not trying to take sides, but didn't we once have two aborted attempts to travel to a match at Dover? I think there were cows on the road on one occasion.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

alas Tom Jones wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:41 am
I'm not trying to take sides, but didn't we once have two aborted attempts to travel to a match at Dover? I think there were cows on the road on one occasion.
That’s right, we managed to get to the ground both times only to be told the match was off both times. The first time wasn’t a surprise as it was freezing that day but cows on the motorway was definitely a first 😀