Paul Hodges

LocalBoy

Paul Hodges

Post by LocalBoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

Admittedly I’ve only seen him in a hand full of matches this season, but is he good enough for us or another Fabio?
Watching him last night, he looked a little lost at times, choosing wrong option, should be sticking to sideline rather then drifting in and closing space down.

Just wondered what your opinions were?

Adz

Re: Paul Hodges

Post by Adz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am

He is a good player, Welling not the ideal team for him to play against really as they are big,physical and dirty. Better as an impact sub when we need someone to get the ball down and run at a defence.

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am

Agree that he’s an impact sub. When he runs (very fast) in a straight line against tired defenders he wins a lot of free kicks and the occasional penalty. He also always gives 100%.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am

Hodgey has won us so many points this season. His little darting runs, particularly early in the season, that carved open defences and won us penalties when we were heading to draws/losses. I do think he’s better when coming on and the defence is tired but what a weapon to have coming off the bench.

LocalBoy

Post by LocalBoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks lads. Like I said, hadn’t seen too much of him, so didn’t want to judge him unfairly really. But thanks for the input. 👍🏼

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am

Wonderful player to have at this level as he can make things happen with that forward, direct and fast run of his. I’m quite a fan of his as he a bloomin’ nice lad too but that won’t get you starts.
I think he is told to change his style of play and work
back more when he starts, where as when he comes on it’s almost like he’s there to create and attack attack attack. He is definitely a ‘false number 9’ creative type and not a box to box midfielder or winger. Having said that I also know that he would give his all whatever position he was asked to fulfill.
A wonderful player to have in the squad with the creativity he brings.

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am

My opinion is we need to get the ball to him more quickly, particularly on the break. Last night we looked to hit Bradbury long, and I don’t think Hodges has the luxury of staying up in supper of him.

You remember the year that Betsy returned and as soon as we recovered the ball, the first thought was to get it to him? I think we should try that with Hodges. Defenders are scared of him and immediately back-pedal when he is one the ball. That should stretch the pitch and allow space for whomever is ‘in the hole’

harland

Post by harland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am

he needs to sit at home and watch as many Eden Hazard clips as he can find
and then watch and learn watch and learn and watch and learn
he has a good first touch and is very quick over 10-20 yards
its what he does after that he needs to improve on, if he wants to start
at present I don't see him as a conference premier option should we get there

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am

Love Hodges, don't forget this is his first season two divisions above where he was playing before

Our only direct runner with the ball !
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

NewCard

Post by NewCard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 am

I think he is great and when on the ball always a danger. Last night his final ball was poor but he just had a bit of an off day. Where he needs to improve is his off the ball work, identifying where and when to run. He too often closes space and that's why he doesn't get as much of the ball as other are making better runs and so people pass to them. There was a lot of times last night when the wing had so much space and he was making runs into the crowd in the centre

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am

He seems an absolutely lovely guy as well. I think he could be useful still in the National if we end up getting promoted. I just feel like you don't get that many players like him at this level and defenders sometimes struggle to know how to deal with it.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am

Think Hodges panicked last night when he should have shot last night , but I think that is because he isn’t used to getting that far without getting fouled....

Waverley

Post by Waverley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am

There was a game he came on in recently - maybe Eastbourne on the middle Saturday at Christmas - he came on for half an hour and everything he did was of a higher standard than the rest had managed in the hour before - it wasn't just his running, it was link up stuff and passing etc - just looked class - I kind of assumed at the start of the season, given where he came from and his size that he would fade, but he's got better

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

There is more to come from hodges- Its great to have a creative player in the squad who can really run at defenders.

But lets remember this is his first season at this level , he came from Hartley Wintney ( one or two league lower ?) and before that from Abbey Rangers.

Give him the ball straight away and let him run at them through the middle, I would like to see him shoot more or go for goal. He scored 20 + at HW so he is capable of sticking them in the net.

A top guy too I have heard and an essential member of the squad. More game time, a few goals and some confidence and then we will really see his potential.

neverlostatwembley3

Post by neverlostatwembley3 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am

I think he has potential to play league football. He is able to run with the ball and open up spaces which is a rare commodity to find with football players today. He also gets stuck in with challenges and I have only ever seen him put in 100% effort.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:18 am

Lovely bloke and a brilliant squad player. Terrifies defenders coming off the bench and as many have said, for a first season at this level, he's acclimatising very well.

I actually thought he was very important in killing the game off last night - even if he didn't pick the right pass on the break, having a player with his work rate who could move the ball thirty yards through the middle made us very dangerous. We don't really have another player in the squad like him in terms of just running at the middle of a team and making things happen.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul, and he is indeed a lovely fella. Switched on. As many have said, it his first season at this level, and for him his fitness is something that needs working on as he has not needed this level when playing before. Yes, a great bloke does not mean we should forgive bad performances but he always gives his all. He seems genuinely proud and honoured to be playing at this level and with Woking. A local lad too, which is always great.

Very talented and under Dowse I am sure will only get better and better.

Sunbrow

Post by Sunbrow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm

He could turn into another Jack Marriott, a slow burner this season but could suddenly kick on and make a big impact at a higher level. The lad certainly has bags of natural talent, Harry Arter did it so I'm sure Paul can with the right application.

adccl8z

Post by adccl8z » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Thought he had a good game last night. When we are on the front foot he is one of the best we have for running at defences. Am sure he'll be pleased to have had 90mins too.

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm

2nd league game in a row he has played the full 90.

Good player learning his trade at this level. Still feel that he is better coming off the bench and running at tired defenders, but has done ok when started

Red Max

Post by Red Max » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am
Our only direct runner with the ball !
What about Cook, striding forward out of defence?