Character/Leadership

darreng

Character/Leadership

Post by darreng » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 am

Dowse spent a lot of time talking about character and leadership in his players at the start of the season to the extent he felt like a stuck record.

However, I guess that is how you go unbeaten in the league between Watford and Swindon and win last night. As someone who can remember the 8 0 defeat Dagenham inflicted on us between trophy semi finals that win was a relief.

You can also see it after they have finished celebrating goals, always the same players start talking and often point to their heads as if to say don’t lose them. Similarly the second time their number 6 decided the game was too much for him last night and needed a lie down, Jolley spent a lot of time talking to Bradbury. This is something that was definitely missing from last years team and is probably why they couldn’t stop the death spiral of defeats after October last year.

Dan

Re: Character/Leadership

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 am

Frankly, this year we have men amongst the squad whilst the second part of last year that really wasn't the case.

Last night's win was crucial, had one of those after the Lord Mayor Show feels about it. All the more impressive after chasing Watford around in such a publicised tie just three days before

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am

Dowson said at the start of the season that you need men out there, and more importantly for me, men who can think for themselves out there.

Last years startled children were clueless when things started going wrong. Bradbury could easily have been sucked into a red card last night by Wellings antics and needed some experience around him.

Massive win last night at a predictably flat Kingfield. 10 days off, press reset and off to St Albans ready to rumble !
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 am

It's also to do with the best part time players being better than the worst full time players.

This year we've got some of the best part time players in the country.
Last year we had some of the worst full time players in the country.

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 am

It would be really interesting just to plonk this squad in the National League and see how they'd do.
At the start of the season I'd have said we'd struggle, but I think these lads would be fairly comfortable mid-table.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am

My biggest worry is what would happen if we go full time. For example should we get promoted (fingers x’d).

Casey, Cook and Hodges all have decent careers outside football so would they give up relative comfort of (assumes) half decent, safe salary for full time national league wages and the risks that brings?
That’s just three of them. I know I’m getting well ahead of myself but.........

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:33 am

Would be surprised if we go full time at least until our new stadium is built, although that is assuming we get promoted.

harland

Post by harland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

stoo said It would be really interesting just to plonk this squad in the National League and see how they'd do.
At the start of the season I'd have said we'd struggle, but I think these lads would be fairly comfortable mid-table.

look at the Maidstone game and where they are in the league and you have the answer I'm afraid
I strongly think if we go up very few players are up to conference premier standard
if you put Watford's side from Sunday in the championship I believe they would win it
if you put Maidstone in our league they would be in the top 3
the point here stoo is that the gap is massive and week on week its a mighty tough league

photocard

Post by photocard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 am

harland wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am
stoo said It would be really interesting just to plonk this squad in the National League and see how they'd do.

look at the Maidstone game and where they are in the league and you have the answer I'm afraid
I strongly think if we go up very few players are up to conference premier standard
if you put Watford's side from Sunday in the championship I believe they would win it
the point here stoo is that the gap is massive and week on week its a mighty tough league
Absolutely this, without demeaning this side's achievements which has been great, there was more quality in last years side, albeit without the necessary leaders or management nous. I would say most of this squad aren't good enough to stay in the league above, although the manager would give us a fighting chance. basically Dowse has put together a very good National South side to get us out of the National South. If we do, he'll have to improve it to stay in the league above; no real shock though is it!

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 am

Put this team in the league above and they'd finish 18t at best

Its a brutal physical slog as we know before you even look at the quality some of the teams have
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

harland wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

Cup games mean sod all when trying to rank teams in different leagues. Otherwise I could claim that because we beat Swindon, we're good enough to be mid-table in league 2. And because Barnet beat Sheffield United, Barnet would be top 3 in the Championship. Obviously this is nonsense, so equally you can't claim that because Maidstone squeaked past us in extra time after a replay, they'd be top 3 in this league and we'd struggle in the league above.

The quality of this league is pretty poor, and yes, the gulf to Conference National is large. But equally the gulf between us and the rest of the South is currently pretty large (8 points having played 2 fewer games) and it's clear that us and Torquay are the two outstanding teams. When I look at 'our' players (i.e. excluding the loanees) I actually think most of them are capable of playing in the league above. Lets face it, if our current centre backs are good enough to keep Wassmer out of the side, and he's on loan to the league above, what does that tell you about the capabilities of Gerring and Cook?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am

Harrogate went up through the NLN Playoffs and are now genuinely in the hunt for NLP playoffs, despite only signing 7 players. Havant & Waterlooville smashed this league to bits, signed 11 players including Kabamba who is known to be an assassin at this level, and are dragging themselves towards safety (though admittedly not by much). It's not an exact science, but I think we could grind out a bottom third finish with the team we have atm.

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am

photocard wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 am
Absolutely this, without demeaning this side's achievements which has been great, there was more quality in last years side, albeit without the necessary leaders or management nous. I would say most of this squad aren't good enough to stay in the league above, although the manager would give us a fighting chance. basically Dowse has put together a very good National South side to get us out of the National South. If we do, he'll have to improve it to stay in the league above; no real shock though is it!
Most of last year's squad wasn't good enough to stay in the league above! And not just because they got us relegated, look at where they are now.

Jones and Staunton seem to be doing ok but Carter and Wynter are facing consecutive relegations. The likes of Orlu, Banton, Bawling, Young, Cook, Isaac etc. didn't even manage to find new teams in the National, and they're not exactly pulling up trees at this level either. Would you take any of them back? I'm not sure I would, not even Carter who would struggle to displace Kretzschmar in the attacking midfielder role.

I agree that if we get promoted we'll need to improve the squad. Up front especially. But I think our defence and midfield is actually pretty solid and would be fine to cope with the step up to the National.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Spitfire MH434 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am
My biggest worry is what would happen if we go full time. For example should we get promoted (fingers x’d).

Casey, Cook and Hodges all have decent careers outside football so would they give up relative comfort of (assumes) half decent, safe salary for full time national league wages and the risks that brings?
That’s just three of them. I know I’m getting well ahead of myself but.........
I get the feeling that’s why Cook and Casey are playing at this level rather than above. I think those 2 could comfortably play in the conference. That’s why Alan Inns left us when we got promoted.

The others I’m not so sure about. Most of them are just good Conf South players, except the loanees.

iAmCraigy

Post by iAmCraigy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Cardelia wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:35 am
photocard wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 am
Most of last year's squad wasn't good enough to stay in the league above! And not just because they got us relegated, look at where they are now.

Jones and Staunton seem to be doing ok but Carter and Wynter are facing consecutive relegations. The likes of Orlu, Banton, Bawling, Young, Cook, Isaac etc. didn't even manage to find new teams in the National, and they're not exactly pulling up trees at this level either. Would you take any of them back? I'm not sure I would, not even Carter who would struggle to displace Kretzschmar in the attacking midfielder role.

I agree that if we get promoted we'll need to improve the squad. Up front especially. But I think our defence and midfield is actually pretty solid and would be fine to cope with the step up to the National.
Bit harsh on Carter considering he's been out for months after having surgery.
@iAmCraigy

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 pm

A fit Carter would be immense in this league. You'd have Ward and Effiong. Maybe Staunton, but Gerring and Cook are tough to replace on current form. You'd also have Charles-Cook and Baxter of the loanees. Kane as well.

adccl8z

Post by adccl8z » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Agree, this group look feel and act far more like a team than last season's renegades

Management having a lot of influence on that togetherness ofcourse

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm

I would want any of them from last year, this group works well enough.

Best P/T will always be better than the worst F/T

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:06 pm

said it in another thread when people suggested Torquay would run away with it. This squad and manager is a completely different animal to last years.
You'd have to wonder what would have happened if we stayed up but made the same change. Look at Solihull.
This space intentionally left blank

darreng

Post by darreng » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 pm

kansasCard wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:06 pm
said it in another thread when people suggested Torquay would run away with it. This squad and manager is a completely different animal to last years.
You'd have to wonder what would have happened if we stayed up but made the same change. Look at Solihull.
Solihull is slightly different, they got a backer with money around January last year. About the same time they rose out of the relegation zone and has probably funded their way up the table.