Torquay

Growler

Re: Torquay

Post by Growler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 am

TQ1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Hi all, Torquay fan in peace! Quite interesting reading through this thread and seeing various comments towards us. I am confident we will drop points soon, in our next 5 games we have Bath, Welling and Chelmsford (notable mention to Oxford City who won't be a walk in the park either). We've seemed to have gone from thoroughly outplaying teams to generally being more efficient and not having the best performance, I expect this will come to bite us soon. The game away to you on 6th April is looking monumental and should be a good one!

Top effort for your game today and a lot to be proud of, thoroughly enjoyed watching it and seeing Gerring go through Success.
Thanks for taking the time to post here TQ1. It’s a far better place on here when we hear what the opposition has to say (rather than just arguing among ourselves!).

I don’t agree with everything you’ve said -for example we were absolute bobbins at the start of the season what with only having retained one player from the year before and the manager having to fit an entirely new squad into a miserable and angry relegated football club - but we just kept winning!

This league is “bottom-heavy” and TUFC’s and our season will be decided by the likes of Bath and Chelmsford rather than head to head. Either one of us could be out of sight by April and since my understanding is that your Bristol loan signings have made a MASSIVE difference to your team* and we too have a shedload of loanees so injuries could make a world of difference too.

All that said, in order that we Woking fans treat you as well here as you would be at “home” for making coherent and generous comments, let me call you a bellsniff and START SHOUTING!

*edit
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

DesCartes

Post by DesCartes » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 am

Growler wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 am
TQ1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm
...with only having retained one player from the year before and the manager having to fit an entirely new squad into a miserable and angry relegated football club..
A Pedant writes:

I keep reading about this one player. Out of interest, which one of Appau, Ferdinand, Mason, Saraiva and Reggie Young counts as the 'one'?

Rio

Post by Rio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am

If you've not got round to it yet, the Woking thread on the Torquay forum is highly entertaining and worth five minutes of your time.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am

Rio wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am
If you've not got round to it yet, the Woking thread on the Torquay forum is highly entertaining and worth five minutes of your time.
It is indeed a fabulously entertaining thread.

To be fair to them, though, at least there are no threads on their forum about certain parts of the ground not making as much noise as others or how some supporters who attend on a bitterly cold midweek night in January are "letting the club down".

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am

Rio wrote:
Apparently we were lucky to beat Welling.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Mr Jones wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am
Rio wrote:
Apparently we're lucky that we played H&R and that they were bad? Its really quite funny to go through and read. In my opinion we're very well matched teams as can be seen by the two games against them and it will go down to who can be more disciplined. We obviously have the head start but it should be interesting over the next few months.

old brian

Post by old brian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Also have read they have sold over a thousand tickets for their Bath match. I know they have higher crowds than us but that is a good effort. I know we have taken a lot away at times but dont recall that many for a CS match half way through the season.
I think the club may have to put a bit more effort in for the Torquay match than we had to for the few Welling fans. In fact that match might give us more away supporters than the rest of our home games put together.

JAM

Post by JAM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm

We must have had close to that at H&R, just that the home side didn't announce it as that.

The Torquay game will be a huge game, but there is a long way to go before that. Either side could slip up and give the advantage to the other.

Eggie James

Post by Eggie James » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Brucie on Torquays Forum must of been a Shots supporter in a previous life.
What an Idiot!!!

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

DesCartes wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 am
Growler wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 am
A Pedant writes:

I keep reading about this one player. Out of interest, which one of Appau, Ferdinand, Mason, Saraiva and Reggie Young counts as the 'one'?
Didn't Dowse state in an interview that Appau(or a pooh as I heard him say), was the only one retained. The others had technically left and simply tried out?

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Mr Jones wrote:
Rio wrote:
Whilst I didn’t turn up until just after Cook scored, that would have been my view too. It was a very close game (from about 30 minutes onwards) that saw Welling miss some very good chances. Saying that, we got the job done - whether that’s luck or just being a very good side, I won’t know until much later in the season.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

darreng

Post by darreng » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm
DesCartes wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 am

A Pedant writes:

Didn't Dowse state in an interview that Appau(or a pooh as I heard him say), was the only one retained. The others had technically left and simply tried out?
Banton, Staunton and Carter all had contracts for this season. However the expectation was two would be sold and the other sent to sabotage Torquay.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Mr Jones wrote:

Apparently we're lucky that we played H&R and that they were bad? Its really quite funny to go through and read. In my opinion we're very well matched teams as can be seen by the two games against them and it will go down to who can be more disciplined. We obviously have the head start but it should be interesting over the next few months.
Despite the fact they played H&R away only a week before us!

They were lucky enough to have 3 home games in a week over Christmas.