Aldershot

Stoo

Aldershot

Post by Stoo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:26 am

Just seen on twitter that two of their loan players have been recalled early, leaving them with an absolute bare bones squad. From talking to some of my Shots supporting mates, I think they're down to about 12/13 fit players, some of whom are also on loan and due to go back soon.

It does go to show how risky it is to rely on the loan market, and also maybe another nod to the stability Dowse has brought to us.

Not quite sure how it's gone so wrong over there. They put together a bloody good footballing side, were unlucky not to go further in the playoffs and now it seems like it's all gone tits up. Shahid possibly have something to do with it?

I remember seeing in the summer that a lot of their really decent players left (not quite sure why, money?) and they've replaced them with younger cheaper alternatives. Rings a nasty bell here.

Whilst I'd not complain if they ended up getting relegated and swapping places with us, or even renewing the rivalry, I'd see it as a very sad day for the club and loyal supporters if they were in financial trouble again.

Whatever we say, they are our rivals now, and we need them. Not least for the support they bring to Kingfield (minus barrier repair cost) and the support we take to their place.

I feel for them.

KT15 Card

Re: Aldershot

Post by KT15 Card » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am

Maybe we should loan them DOA?

Every little helps

GU21 Card

Post by GU21 Card » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am

And Spence.
Calling offsides before they happen since 1992.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Stoo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:26 am
I remember seeing in the summer that a lot of their really decent players left (not quite sure why, money?) and they've replaced them with younger cheaper alternatives. Rings a nasty bell here.
The problem with nearly succeeding is that you advertise your best players without the guarantee of getting anything for them, and for clubs of medium size that's a recipe for disaster. Remember when Holman came back to Kingfield with Cheltenham and spanked us like a naughty child?

I remember Oyeleke running the midfield for them against us on New Year's Day looking like a League player, and he's now playing relatively regularly at Port Vale. Reynolds, Evans and Alexander were regulars for them and have since moved to Barnet/Chesterfield respectively, both of whom were relegated from League 2 and so will have been targeting the best players. Kellerman played nearly 40 games for them and then got snapped up by a Scottish Premiership side. Without knowing much about their squad, clearly there's talent there that bigger clubs than Aldershot have recognised and acted on.

There's not a lot of money there, but they still have quality players for Conference Prem level, and many with league experience. Looking at their forum it seems like injury is more of a problem than age:
Dr Jim Royle wrote:For a moment let's forget why Budgets not increased or kept at a similar level. Below are just GUESTIMATES not factual but in the ball park maybe?

This season we lost :-

Will Evans - to a two year deal and on twice his wages with us, Chesterfield not exactly pulling up trees.

Alexander & Reynolds - again a two year deal on improved wages and less travel from home. Barnet not pulling up trees.

Kellerman - To Scottish Premiership on triple wages, now at Fylde and from what I can gather, not a regular pick.

We Kept :-

McClure and Rowe who have spent more time on the injury list than on the pitch.

Fenelon, whose form was patchy at best but another more injured than fit.

Rendell, who was our best outlet until yet another horrible injury likely to keep him out for months.

Cole - Yet again injured.

Our "spine" signing in the summer was Osbourne, add up the minutes we might total three games.

Hungry young Players signed, Wannado & JBA, failing to sparkle and yet more times on injury table.

Dan Holman don’t get me started !!

Loanees - Been good but so young have lacked any real experience.

For me, Gary has not impressed with this seasons decisions, OK he wanted better players but money hindered, I still see better squads in our league with better players and my GUESS on less money. So for me Gary has a lot of work to do to put it right.

These are my thoughts so there to be shot at.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Stoo wrote:
Just seen on twitter that two of their loan players have been recalled early, leaving them with an absolute bare bones squad. From talking to some of my Shots supporting mates, I think they're down to about 12/13 fit players, some of whom are also on loan and due to go back soon.

It does go to show how risky it is to rely on the loan market, and also maybe another nod to the stability Dowse has brought to us.

Not quite sure how it's gone so wrong over there. They put together a bloody good footballing side, were unlucky not to go further in the playoffs and now it seems like it's all gone tits up. Shahid possibly have something to do with it?

Whilst I'd not complain if they ended up getting relegated and swapping places with us, or even renewing the rivalry, I'd see it as a very sad day for the club and loyal supporters if they were in financial trouble again.

Whatever we say, they are our rivals now, and we need them. Not least for the support they bring to Kingfield (minus barrier repair cost) and the support we take to their place.

I feel for them.
I think they're in a very similar position to our final year under Garry Hill. An experienced, very competent, well-respected manager who's raised expectations at the club and then floundered with a reduced budget, and who has subsequently made some slightly odd decisions. Aldershot having six or seven loan players when you can only name a maximum of five in a matchday squad is just asking for trouble, while only naming three subs (as they did last weekend) and then blaming injuries is pretty much the manager trying to make a point to the board about needing more resources. He could easily have filled up the spaces on the bench with academy players.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 pm

They are that desperate, Chris Arthur has signed a pay as you play deal.

The desperate are now depending on the Totally Inept!!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm

well I hope they pull through. No benefit to us IF we go up and they suffer and go down. Although the maintenance budget will be safe, and who the hell will use gate 3?
This space intentionally left blank

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 pm

That was a joke on Twitter but quite funny tbf.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:04 pm

GlenH wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 pm
Adrian wrote:

That was a joke on Twitter but quite funny tbf.
Oh was it, I was quite chuffed coming up with that.

They appear to have signed another loanee a feels from Barnsley.

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:16 pm
Stoo wrote:
The problem with nearly succeeding is that you advertise your best players without the guarantee of getting anything for them, and for clubs of medium size that's a recipe for disaster. Remember when Holman came back to Kingfield with Cheltenham and spanked us like a naughty child?

I remember Oyeleke running the midfield for them against us on New Year's Day looking like a League player, and he's now playing relatively regularly at Port Vale. Reynolds, Evans and Alexander were regulars for them and have since moved to Barnet/Chesterfield respectively, both of whom were relegated from League 2 and so will have been targeting the best players. Kellerman played nearly 40 games for them and then got snapped up by a Scottish Premiership side. Without knowing much about their squad, clearly there's talent there that bigger clubs than Aldershot have recognised and acted on.

There's not a lot of money there, but they still have quality players for Conference Prem level, and many with league experience. Looking at their forum it seems like injury is more of a problem than age:
Dr Jim Royle wrote:For a moment let's forget why Budgets not increased or kept at a similar level. Below are just GUESTIMATES not factual but in the ball park maybe?

This season we lost :-

Will Evans - to a two year deal and on twice his wages with us, Chesterfield not exactly pulling up trees.

Alexander & Reynolds - again a two year deal on improved wages and less travel from home. Barnet not pulling up trees.

Kellerman - To Scottish Premiership on triple wages, now at Fylde and from what I can gather, not a regular pick.

We Kept :-

McClure and Rowe who have spent more time on the injury list than on the pitch.

Fenelon, whose form was patchy at best but another more injured than fit.

Rendell, who was our best outlet until yet another horrible injury likely to keep him out for months.

Cole - Yet again injured.

Our "spine" signing in the summer was Osbourne, add up the minutes we might total three games.

Hungry young Players signed, Wannado & JBA, failing to sparkle and yet more times on injury table.

Dan Holman don’t get me started !!

Loanees - Been good but so young have lacked any real experience.

For me, Gary has not impressed with this seasons decisions, OK he wanted better players but money hindered, I still see better squads in our league with better players and my GUESS on less money. So for me Gary has a lot of work to do to put it right.

These are my thoughts so there to be shot at.
One other player that we lost last season (in the January transfer window) was Bernard Mensah. He joined Bristol Rovers for an undisclosed fee (Rover's request). This season GW has brought in lesser quality (cheaper) players which has enabled him to have a slightly bigger squad. The budget has been protected (assumed to be the same as last season's). The centre half (and experienced on-field leader) that he's brought in, Karleigh Osbourne, has a history of injuries and has lived up to it. Game time so far would be the equivalent of three games (give or take). The forwards haven't been improved on but if truth be known, it hasn't been that good since the turn of the year. Yes we made the playoffs again but the signs were there even then. We've had six loanees on the books so far, two of whom went back to their parent clubs this week and another whose loan deal ends after Saturday's game. We've signed on loan today a forward from Barnsley who apparently did quite well at Wrexham a couple of seasons ago. I just hope that he does a good job for us.
The issue this season (more so than last imo) is the money that's being pumped in by a number of clubs. This in turn is having a knock on effect wages-wise for those less able to compete. The money that we (and other clubs, I expect) are offering 'decent players' is being used to get those players better deals elsewhere. I'm sure it's been like that for a few seasons but possibly more so this. Hopefully our injury situation will improve soon, if not then it'll be a case of trying to scrape points and get to the perceived safety target of 50 points but, if the last two home games are anything to go by, it won't be easy.

Ps, told you you stood a good chance of getting a result at Swindon. We can but look on enviously at your current success.

ABR

Post by ABR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 am

Aldershot fans on here,they need to get a life. Dont forget you have the most inept leader in Azeem.

DesCartes

Post by DesCartes » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 am

Adrian wrote:

When Arthur 'plays'? I believe that's what's commonly referred to as a 'zero hours contract'.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 am

It may not be the end of the world for them to have a season or two in the Conference South. It's done us the world of good both times so far

Skybluecard

Post by Skybluecard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:55 am

They are in that spiral we were in last season... they had one a few seasons ago and just scraped it so I agree it will be great to see them down... it will do them good to slum it at Concord and East Thurrock!!

ABR

Post by ABR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Aldershots problem is they are not as big as they think they are. Have not been for a good many years. Dont care if they finish all together. Not worried about them, horrible place in north east hampshire.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I won’t miss that journey this Christmas/New Year, Hampton is a much more welcoming prospect, no embittered Chavs for a start

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Hampton are pretty bitter aren’t they??

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:02 pm

They were at the start of the season. Seems to have died down a bit now, most of their comments in the wake of Dowse's success with us so far have been pretty reasonable. Taking six points off them over the next few weeks might go some way to changing that, mind...

Sunbrow

Post by Sunbrow » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Why are some people so bitter over wanting to see clubs like Aldershot fold up. It's good to see all the local clubs do well no matter who it is. If a lot of clubs die so will Woking because we won't have anyone to play.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Because this is football, not a tea dance, and a decent bit of rivalry adds to the fun.
Away at Aldershot is a love/hate thing, hate going there but love a game with a bit of atmosphere. Though the atmosphere is nowhere near as good since they made the neutral area so huge.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Some of the abuse is way OTT, mocking a guy who topped himself on a railway line is shocking IMHO

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:06 pm
Because this is football, not a tea dance, and a decent bit of rivalry adds to the fun.
Away at Aldershot is a love/hate thing, hate going there but love a game with a bit of atmosphere. Though the atmosphere is nowhere near as good since they made the neutral area so huge.
I desperately want the sh*ts to lose football matches, do clown like slapstick defending and forget their kit when they show up at Kingfield. I want their fans to stand in the rain and get held back after the game. I love to mock their obsession with attendances and their love of flags and drums.

But I don’t want them to go bust. We are all fighting to stay afloat in modern football. It’s crap how the money is spread so thinly at this level and we are all in a similar boat. And any team that goes bust is the victim of crap or stupid stewardship or plain bad luck. I wouldn’t cheer them having financial trouble

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:50 pm

The money isn’t spread so thinly, it is just that clubs spend more than they have.
If this level got more money roughly the same players would get paid more and clubs would still run out of money.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:24 pm

According to the former board member who posts on their forum, their playing budget for this season is circa 750k. According to Shahid Azeem (at a recent fans forum, allegedly), they are currently losing around 25k a month, which works out at roughly 300k a year.

If both of those figures are correct, those are the economics of the madhouse, especially given the club's recent history.