Re: Match Thread vs AFC Wimbledon

Post by Baldman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

How did Gez get on?

TWR

Post by TWR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:23 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm
Worth having another look at the two second half wingers (especially the 20) and the 16. Wouldn’t be too bothered about the others.

Tough game against good opposition. Would be a little worried about the midfield - as there was no shield at all. Back four looked good, but the keeper’s probably had better games. Spence didn’t take his chance and Fabio struggled to make an impact.
Agree about the 20 and definitely 16, he looked a quality ball-playing midfielder. Good goal too. 19 and 7 looked pretty handy too.

Would disagree about Fabio though, was crowded out a lot (as were most in the midfield) in the first half, but won a couple of tackles against tougher and fitter opposition. Tried to get hold of the ball and play it when he could.

Thought the defence didn't do well, though maybe improved by the 2nd half, after all the changes from both teams. Wimbledon too often allowed to walk through the back and get chances.

DOA did okay, should have scored after a great ball from Wheeler. Bullied the defence fairly well but want to see more.

Gez had a couple nice touches (one great control with the ball coming down high from the sky) and a couple nice passes. Late on had a freekick in an almost-perfect position but hit it over. Shame he didn't get more time on, but heard that was planned beforehand.

In regards to the kit - it was a special one made for the 'Appreciation' match.
Last edited by TWR on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

DesCartes

Post by DesCartes » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm
Worth having another look at the two second half wingers (especially the 20) and the 16. Wouldn’t be too bothered about the others.

Tough game against good opposition. Would be a little worried about the midfield - as there was no shield at all. Back four looked good, but the keeper’s probably had better games. Spence didn’t take his chance and Fabio struggled to make an impact.
A strong run into the box, battling his way past several Wimbledon defenders,by No.20, Maagbe, towards the end. No.19, Halliday, also looked decent.

A lot better in the second half after the signed players had been substituted!

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Some what confused after that game. Was it just me or did the defence seem a bit disorganised tonight? Cook wandered off into the midfield, Casey should never call the keeper to take a rolling ball then take a touch making it a back pass. Was 18 Dale a holding CM or something else?
DOA may as well of got the picnic blanket out for all that happened in the first half.
Gayle played ok at the back and Collier worked hard out the back four but we obviously still need a right back.
Defence still has work to do otherwise I fear another defensive sieve.

2nd half was a different game and agree with DaveTBH re not fussed over too many of them although the forward line did play better the last 20 mins. Hodges didn’t look out of place.

Would have been nice to have had the flood lights on so Gez could have a lap of honour without feeling his way around the barriers.

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:08 pm

The number 16 was really sharp and quick. Liked what I saw of him. Looks 5'0" against the big lad!!

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Baldman wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm
How did Gez get on?
Bless his heart, he was terrible. Think his only shot was an 88th minute free kick that had the romantics excited, but didn't even hit the target. Barely touched it in the first half, dispossessed every time he did in the second.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 am

Can't really read much into our defensive set up against a team three leagues above us. This is a defence that was the best in the VNS last season. Horses for courses and all that

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 am

Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 am
Can't really read much into our defensive set up against a team three leagues above us. This is a defence that was the best in the VNS last season. Horses for courses and all that
^^ This

Also worth pointing out that this was a defence without our first choice goalkeeper and Wassmer.

And Wimbledon were impressive I have to say.

I was very encouraged by the second half. Samson Maagbe (No 20) and Hodges (no 16) did look quite promising.
I'd also like to see Koffi Halliday (no 11 - came on second half) again. He was impressive against Fleet.

Interesting to see the big German lad come on and play in his correct position. When he came on up front against Fleet he was hapless, but research on him says he's actually a central defender, and he looked far more comfortable in that position than he did up front.

No harm in trying these things out though, that's the point of pre-season and triallists!

photocard

Post by photocard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:22 am

My thoughts were that Wimbledon were really on it 1st half, and I doubt we'll have a more intense friendly this season. As a result I thought the defence did pretty well considering the standard of opposition; it could easily have been 6 or 7, if not for some great last ditch blocks/tackles.

I felt it summed up my earlier thoughts (that got highly criticised) that we need more quality in attacking areas. I thought Achempong did reasonably well, and if stays fit will be a useful focal point. Tend to agree with the comments about the 2nd half subs,I liked the look of 16, 19, and 20, lots of pace, and direct running. In the 1st half although we didn't have much of the ball, I thought Greg Luer looked like he could be useful.

I guess we will get and idea over the next few weeks when the final additions are made to the squad as to what our relative strengths and weakness will be. At the moment I can see us not conceding many, but not scoring much. Time will tell.

Just a note on Gez, cheers fella, one of my favourite Woking player in the 28 years I've been watching, I wish there had been more there last tonight, but I hope you enjoyed your evening, and well done to Dowse for getting the match organised.

vinrouge

Post by vinrouge » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am

Last nights trialists info

6 Dan Spence ex Eastleigh Sutton Utd - right back
7 Greg Luer Ex hull and played for Maidstone on loan - forward
12 Nicholas Bignall ex Reading yoof and Hungerford - forward
13 Peter Arnold Woking Academy = gk
14 Chris Dickson x Charlton recently Chelmsford - forward
16 Paul Hodges ex Hartley Witney - forward
17 Brandon Diau is a German CB
18 James Dale ex Brechin Forfar - Cental Midfield
19 Kofi Halliday ex Alderhot yoof Swedish team - forward
20 Samson Maagbe ex Kettering - winger

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 am

photocard wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:22 am
My thoughts were that Wimbledon were really on it 1st half, and I doubt we'll have a more intense friendly this season. As a result I thought the defence did pretty well considering the standard of opposition; it could easily have been 6 or 7, if not for some great last ditch blocks/tackles.

I felt it summed up my earlier thoughts (that got highly criticised) that we need more quality in attacking areas. I thought Achempong did reasonably well, and if stays fit will be a useful focal point. Tend to agree with the comments about the 2nd half subs,I liked the look of 16, 19, and 20, lots of pace, and direct running. In the 1st half although we didn't have much of the ball, I thought Greg Luer looked like he could be useful.

I guess we will get and idea over the next few weeks when the final additions are made to the squad as to what our relative strengths and weakness will be. At the moment I can see us not conceding many, but not scoring much. Time will tell.

Just a note on Gez, cheers fella, one of my favourite Woking player in the 28 years I've been watching, I wish there had been more there last tonight, but I hope you enjoyed your evening, and well done to Dowse for getting the match organised.
Wasn't criticism on my part, simply a reminder that we had (and still do) have only one striker on the books, and that it's fairly safe to assume that attacking reinforcements are on the way. We had about six strikers in the squad last night of varying quality so it's clearly a spot Dowse wants to improve on and he's just looking to find the right player(s). To say we need more quality in attacking areas is like saying we need to work on fitness or cohesion - it will all happen in good time. If we had 3 or 4 forwards who were all struggling then I'd be saying we need more quality.

Cheers for the review though, helpful for those of us that can't make it!

photocard

Post by photocard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 am

Fair enough Glen, although there seemed to be a few in the last couple of days who were implying the squad was looking great and almost there; far from it in my opinion. However there's still time, and as you said it's fairly likely due to numbers that's the area Dowse will be concentrating on from here on in.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 am

photocard wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 am
Fair enough Glen, although there seemed to be a few in the last couple of days who were implying the squad was looking great and almost there; far from it in my opinion. However there's still time, and as you said it's fairly likely due to numbers that's the area Dowse will be concentrating on from here on in.
I'd say we need at least seven more - history tells us that we really shouldn't be relying on a squad of 18 to get us through the season. Defence probably only needs one, perhaps two more, and I would expect the rest to be in those midfield/forward areas. Certainly judging by the balance of the squad last night - with only one defensive trialist - that's what Dowse is thinking too. It will be an interesting few weeks for sure.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

Re the defence..Casey is a winger converted to full back, decent going forward but suspect defensively particularly in the air, Cook spent much of last season on the bench at Hampton last season, Wassamer is a rock but is slow.. Collier can play anywhere and is solid, my guess is he will eventually play CB as he is quick so sidelining Wassamer or Cook. Defensively not as solid as we think. Maybe Gayle will prove to be a decent signing. Kieran and Kretchmar were Hamptons key players last season, I trust Dowson is still after them.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Jim wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am
Re the defence..Casey is a winger converted to full back, decent going forward but suspect defensively particularly in the air, Cook spent much of last season on the bench at Hampton last season, Wassamer is a rock but is slow.. Collier can play anywhere and is solid, my guess is he will eventually play CB as he is quick so sidelining Wassamer or Cook. Defensively not as solid as we think. Maybe Gayle will prove to be a decent signing. Kieran and Kretchmar were Hamptons key players last season, I trust Dowson is still after them.
Thanks for the informed post Jim. First time poster, who has no doubt been watching Woking since the 60s. Not the slightest hint of any AGENDA either!
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Jim wrote:
Just a few corrections / alternate thoughts:

1) Josh Casey predominately played LB for Hampton but has played further forward in his career. He was certainly part of their excellent defence last season. His first appearance in two months against a team three divisions above us is a harsh platform to judge him on.

2) Jack Cook made 42 appearances last season which suggests to me he was at least semi-regular. How many of our defenders played that many games last season? One?

3) Collier can play anywhere in defence or midfield but CB would be the least likely option from what I've read/heard. I imagine he's there as the utility man who can fill the gaps where needed (so valuable at this level). Having signed three CBs already I doubt this will be his main position barring an injury crisis.

4) Kiernan (assume this is who you meant) scored a grand total of three league goals last season and has not been spoken of that highly on the Hampton forum. I believe he had a good year the year before but doesn't appear to be one we're looking at. I assume we'd have seen him by now if he was.

5) Kretzschmar is clearly a player Dowse would like and it's been well documented he's training with us - it's on his own Instagram page.

Welcome to Cardsboard, Jim :)

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Follow non league, usually Kingstonian before their move but saw Hampton a dozen times last season. Of the x Hampton signings Collier is the best. Dowson settled him at CB with Wassamer, that was a decent paring. As I said Wassamer is a rock and will head anything, needs someone quick alongside him though. Kretchmar carried Hampton last season and is a brilliant player. From what I saw Kieran isn’t far behind. Hampton last season had two class keepers on loan Howes from Watford then a lad from QPR. They were miles above conference south. I remember Gayle from his time at Kingstonian, he could develop into a really good player. Dowson loves Casey. Signed him from Kingstonian, where he was a decent steady performer as a wide attacking midfielder.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:48 pm

GlenH wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm
Jim wrote:

5) Kretzschmar is clearly a player Dowse would like and it's been well documented he's training with us - it's on his own Instagram page.

Welcome to Cardsboard, Jim :)
Where on his Instagram page?

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Jim wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm
Follow non league, usually Kingstonian before their move but saw Hampton a dozen times last season. Of the x Hampton signings Collier is the best. Dowson settled him at CB with Wassamer, that was a decent paring. As I said Wassamer is a rock and will head anything, needs someone quick alongside him though. Kretchmar carried Hampton last season and is a brilliant player. From what I saw Kieran isn’t far behind. Hampton last season had two class keepers on loan Howes from Watford then a lad from QPR. They were miles above conference south. I remember Gayle from his time at Kingstonian, he could develop into a really good player. Dowson loves Casey. Signed him from Kingstonian, where he was a decent steady performer as a wide attacking midfielder.
I don’t even know who Kieran is, but I’m guessing you’re his dad. Does he want to join us?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Max Instagram - last thing he posted, in the Wycombe training gear, it's on the Woking News and Mail Twitter feed as well. A few others wearing gear from old clubs too - Wheeler (Dagenham) and DOA (Dartford) I've seen.

Kieran - think he means Brendan Kiernan, winger from Hampton. But as he spelt Wassmer and Kretzschmar wrong too I can only guess. Sorry, misspelling player names is a pet peeve, comes from the journo degree haha!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Does Brendon want to join you? I have no idea. He has played football league and national league and is a top player in the conferences south on what I’ve seen. Had a fall out with Dowson allegedly last season maybe that’s why he hasn’t joined. He will not be short of offers that’s for sure.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

GlenH wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm
Max Instagram - last thing he posted, in the Wycombe training gear, it's on the Woking News and Mail Twitter feed as well. A few others wearing gear from old clubs too - Wheeler (Dagenham) and DOA (Dartford) I've seen.

Kieran - think he means Brendan Kiernan, winger from Hampton. But as he spelt Wassmer and Kretzschmar wrong too I can only guess. Sorry, misspelling player names is a pet peeve, comes from the journo degree haha!
Why does he still where Wycombe gear!!??