Josh Staunton

David1

Josh Staunton

Post by David1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Kingfield Ender

Re: Josh Staunton

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 pm

That's the oddest transfer for a long time !!
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Not a huge shock and a blow which is softened by the signing of three decent centre-backs already this summer. Josh was the best of a bad bunch really in a defence that conceded a huge number of goals and it speaks volumes that he's gone to Halifax rather than a team that's likely to be chasing promotion. Would have liked to have kept him in an ideal world but we got a fee and freed up a decent chunk of wages so hard to complain. He's got great potential and I wish him well for the future.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Thought he may have gone higher but full credit to the commitment he gave last year. One of the few to come out of the season with dignity and understood what it meant to the fans week in to give his all.

Good luck Josh.

London_Card

Post by London_Card » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Halifax? Really?!

Seems an odd one uprooting to a much different part of the country for just another relegation battle

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:34 pm

So my understanding is that we’ve hung on until a club paid a fee that matched our valuation of him.

Also, his pay level was not within our current structure.

I liked Josh, I really did, especially when he was playing alongside Wynter.
But once we went down, we weren’t ever really in a position to keep him.

He gave absolutely everything he could, and I’ll never forget him for that.

I hope he does amazingly well in the rest of his long career. Cheers Staunts. ♥️

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Leaves us with a fairly balanced XI with a couple of subs thus far... Berti; Collier, Wassmer, Cook, Casey; Appau, Saraiva, Jolley; Young, Wheeler, DOA; Subs - Mason, Gayle. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more of the academy lads added - Choules and Hester-Cook would make it 15. Might leave room for 5 more perhaps? Especially with Josh's wages freed up.

The Cardinal One

Post by The Cardinal One » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks Josh for being a pro last season in difficult circumstances.

A move was always on the cards (excuse the pun). At least we got a fee and 4 weeks to build a formidable new defense.
Woking FC's unofficial statistician.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Don't think any of us expected his stay, especially with the backline Dowse is putting together.

I did like Staunton and think he can be a real good player. Best of luck and hope our paths cross again.

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Stoo wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:34 pm
So my understanding is that we’ve hung on until a club paid a fee that matched our valuation of him.

Also, his pay level was not within our current structure.

I liked Josh, I really did, especially when he was playing alongside Wynter.
But once we went down, we weren’t ever really in a position to keep him.

He gave absolutely everything he could, and I’ll never forget him for that.

I hope he does amazingly well in the rest of his long career. Cheers Staunts. ♥️
He is absolutely the type of player we need when we go back up. Team spirit with ability is everything. He had both.

We are a decent striker away from promotion.
The most loyal fan to miss Wembley 1994.
Author of "we've got Dereck Brown........Yes! "

nb1978

Post by nb1978 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Good luck Josh, old son. Didn’t deserve to be part of that circus last season. Hope it works out for you and thank you for your efforts.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 pm

A very badly advised young man.

He always gave 100%.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 pm
A very badly advised young man.

He always gave 100%.
Bit harsh. He's got some documented links to Jamie Vardy's project, who I presume still has links with your Halifax's and Fleetwood's.

He's not a Football League standard player yet but there are plenty of FL clubs on both sides of the Pennines who will have scouts out at games. Decent enough move for him in my view.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 am

It took me til April to realise he's only 21*. Like Baxter, for someone so young he had an incredible attitude for us last season. With a squad full of babies (thanks Limbrick and Karl), it was always going to be a hard task for him to shine and I wish him all the best.

Halifax is bit of a weird one, but maybe it was the only interested party in the National League?

*as he has less hair than me

photocard

Post by photocard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 am

Good luck Josh, as others have said one of the few to come out of last season with real credit. The fight and drive you showed towards the end of the season was superb, one of the few leaders we had last year.

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am

Josh Staunton is a massive loss for us I cannot reallu understand why in the throes of our relegation season we are unable to retain any of the regular playing staff. They were not ALL bad players I realise the loanees staying was not an option but there were others. We have thrown our lot in with Mr. Dowson and his mainly H&R signings but at the end of the day H&r are still in the national league south. He did not get them promoted.
Of course he should have his chance but we need to get out of this league pronto.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:33 am

moordykespot wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am
Josh Staunton is a massive loss for us I cannot reallu understand why in the throes of our relegation season we are unable to retain any of the regular playing staff. They were not ALL bad players I realise the loanees staying was not an option but there were others. We have thrown our lot in with Mr. Dowson and his mainly H&R signings but at the end of the day H&r are still in the national league south. He did not get them promoted.
Of course he should have his chance but we need to get out of this league pronto.
If the player wants to leave, his wages are too high for us at this level and we have decent replacements already signed up then what's the point of holding him against his will? He's a loss, sure, but none of last year's players covered themselves in glory. Time to move on.

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't doubt your words Glenn I realise we have gone down a league and the standard of football will not be so good. I hope Mr. Dowsons ambition is to return us to thje national League as soon as possible Can he do it with players who have not achieved Promotion I* hope so.

Surely one or two of last seasons squad could have helped our cause. Did Mr Chapple see fit to offer his recommendationsWho Knows for all of Mr. Dowson's openess. he has never cmmented on his thoughts of last seasons squad except to say Fabio had an awful time last season.

The budget apparently is not great (no surprise there) in view of the last few seasons remarks. The board is always reticent in commenting as to that. What sort of support in Nos. are we going to get to assist the efforts in getting out of this league.

Don't get me wrong I dearly want as any fan would to see us do well But I have my doubts.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:25 pm

moordykespot wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am
July and you seem to be getting the knife out all ready.

I agree we would like not to be in this league, but we’ve a chap in charge that came here not to finish second again.

Just give it time.

Trust in The Dowse

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I.m too old to get the knife out my Friend I just speak as I see. I do sincerely wish Mr Dowson all the best but I have my opinions so I voice em.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm

So you have got the knife out then.

Be brave just admit it my friend.

As I said earlier, he hasn’t come here to finish second.

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Nope I don't need any knife. We both know we have had the words. Now for the actions. Got me season ticket for my 200 mile round trip We shall see what we shall see.

I can say to date this board has not led us upwards

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 pm

moordykespot wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 pm
Nope I don't need any knife. We both know we have had the words. Now for the actions. Got me season ticket for my 200 mile round trip We shall see what we shall see.

I can say to date this board has not led us upwards
Hmmmmm the tone of these post similar.... Is he back?

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:44 pm

er No my friend he aint back.. My opinions are my own as just an ordinary fan.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm

FFS are we going down this line already? Moordy, keep your opinions coming even if they don’t ahear to everyone. I don’t agree with you but know it’s nothing personal. It’s just as you see it. Good on you.
I’m not a sheep and if I disagree with a few of you, tough, I won’t disrespect anyone because we don’t see eye to eye (yes I owe a few apologies, to gtz... first) but that’s what makes us great. Challenge what you see and prove it’s right.... hmmm that’s sounds a bit naked l@&der there, sorry.
The facts are we are playing a league below and part time. We can’t afford Josh on a full time wage and he has designs to go higher up the leagues. He could do that with the right guidance and as a full time player. I’d love to have kept him but it was always going to happen.
Josh, love your passion, presence and commitment to the fans but you had to go for both of us!

Be nice to each other.