Match Thread vs Fleet Town (PSF)

wokingcardinal

Re: Match Thread vs Fleet Town (PSF)

Post by wokingcardinal » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 am

Considering what most teenagers get upto these days I think he should be applauded for his enterprise.
Preferable to disrupting one industry at a time.
Depends on the industry I guess...

Adz

Post by Adz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Fleet Town lost their appeal with the FA on Monday and have today announced they no longer have a management team or players because of it. Our friendly could potentially be the only game they play this season.
So much for the FA supporting smaller clubs.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:52 pm

I appreciate I do not know the full story regarding Fleet - but I believe the FA wanted to move them to the Southern Football League West Division - home to the likes of Totton, Barnstaple, Wincester - none of which are exactly far away. Less than an hour's drive in a lot of cases. I appreciate things are more difficult the further down the pyramid you go but I struggle to understand why that makes such a monumental difference to them compared to playing the likes of Westfield, who are still 30 minutes away. I've been trawling through their Twitter feed out of interest but if anyone can shed anymore light on it I would be interested to learn more.

Adz

Post by Adz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Almost all of their management team and players were recruited from one of the Walton clubs (Can't remember which) so they already had journey times of around an hour to get to Fleet before the extra journeys west. They were only moved to the other league because of a restructure after a northern team folded.
Best case scenario for them is a 2 league demotion through no fault of their own.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Adz wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:30 pm
Fleet Town lost their appeal with the FA on Monday and have today announced they no longer have a management team or players because of it. Our friendly could potentially be the only game they play this season.
So much for the FA supporting smaller clubs.
Yes I saw that, not good. Their tweet said they were having a management meeting today to decide their future and judging by what they said after they found out about their move they will probably resign from the Southern League, therefore leaving the League short!!!

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:09 pm

GlenH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:52 pm
I appreciate I do not know the full story regarding Fleet - but I believe the FA wanted to move them to the Southern Football League West Division - home to the likes of Totton, Barnstaple, Wincester - none of which are exactly far away. Less than an hour's drive in a lot of cases. I appreciate things are more difficult the further down the pyramid you go but I struggle to understand why that makes such a monumental difference to them compared to playing the likes of Westfield, who are still 30 minutes away. I've been trawling through their Twitter feed out of interest but if anyone can shed anymore light on it I would be interested to learn more.
Shaw Lane resigned from the Northern Premier League so the FA shuffled clubs around to fill their gap. Hednesford Town were moved into the NPL to replace them from the Southern League Premier Central, Wimbourn Town were promoted to the Southern Premier South, Banbury Utd were moved from the Southern League Premier South to Southern League Premier Central with Fleet Town replacing Wimbourn Town.

Fleet are the furthest East of all the clubs in Southern League Div One South now have trips to Barnstaple and Bideford in Devon, Cinderford in deepest Gloucestershire, Bristol, Street in Somerset, basically everything is west of them. I hardly think the likes of Barnstaple, Bideford or Cinderford are not that far away, certainly compared to most of the trips they were planning to do.

I AM KING PIE

Post by I AM KING PIE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Seems totally daft that some clubs demise in Barnsley should have a devastating result for a club in Hampshire. Looks like Combined Counties 2 for them at the best. Absolute joke.

cherrywoodcard

Post by cherrywoodcard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Fleet Town have decided to play on in the Southern League. Good luck to them. They will play mostly youth team players so it will be tough for them.

Adz

Post by Adz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Koo Dumbuya is the new manager, I believe he was a coach at Woking a couple of seasons ago