Dowse adds Christian Jolley to his squad

fatmaninthekitchen

Re: Dowse adds Christian Jolley to his squad

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm

my word , are we only signing players who fit into 2 catagories?
1) They are, or have been, mates with our manager
or
2) They are rejects from a lower division club, Margate FFS
What the hell is wrong with Chez, Joey, Kane, etc - yes, yes, yes they were in a relegated team , yawn, yawn, yawn , but that was the manager's fault by persisting with a sussed out tactical system

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm

FMITK I suppose you are not happy with the other new signing as well!!!

If you were at the forum last night, AD spoke well and it is obvious that he likes to have players that he knows and can trust. As for the players you have mentioned I would have kept Kane & Chez but maybe, just maybe, they had better offers on the table, either financially or in the league above

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm
or
What the hell is wrong with Chez, Joey, Kane, etc - yes, yes, yes they were in a relegated team , yawn, yawn, yawn , but that was the manager's fault by persisting with a sussed out tactical system
From what Dowse was saying yesterday, all last season's 'wonderful' players seem to want the same sort of money they were on last season, which does not suit our budget for this season.

He's signing players with a proven track record in the National League South, for a season in the National League South.

I'd say after the last twe horrible seasons, a completely fresh start would be a very good idea. And I'm not going to miss Chez, Joey or Kane.
Staunton yes, it will be a shame to lose him, but we have got to trust in the new management team, 100%

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

or
Even if we ignore the fact that these players were part of a relegated team - one of them twice in successive seasons - one of the biggest criticisms I would have of the recruitment last season is that there were too many 'samey' players: too many youngsters with limited experience, too many midfielders with limited creativity, too many defenders who didn't know how to head a football etc. I am perfectly comfortable with Dowse building a squad which he can truly call 'his' and is one that can succeed in the division we are in. Would Chez, Joey and Kane do well at this level? Perhaps. We don't know for sure considering they have about a dozen games at this level between them. Will Jolley, Wassmer, Cook etc. be good at this level? Well they have been and they will hopefully continue to be playing under a manager they know well. All without endangering ourselves by paying money we can't afford. It would have been nice to keep a few more from last season but we're not going to so let it go and get behind the new lads!

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 pm

or
Yeah I'm gutted we're signing a manager and his players and contacts that have relative success at this level. These latest players Dowse signed played in a team that conceded 37 goals all season and were in a penalty shoot out for a place in the National League. Keep em coming.

I'd have Kane back and maybe Chez but there's bound to be some quality out there in the middle of the park who finds himself suited to Tuesday-Thursday evening training that probably trumps them. And on Joey, thanks for the service but good bye.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

What is wrong with Chez, Kane and Joey ?, How long have you got ?

Some people are holding onto the past worse than the Daily Express and Princess Diana
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

darreng

Post by darreng » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm

or
Bit unfair to call Jolly a Margate reject, only one season there before going to a team in a league above and a respectful league and Conference record as well as being part of the H&RB team that made the play offs last year.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm

I believe Margate were in Conference South at the time so he's always been at this sort of level or above.

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

all the comments above are about how happy everyone is about signing players that have operated in the NLS - mostly at Hampton - but that's were they have always been - in the NLS .
What makes you think that failing to get up last year at Hampton and finishing a massive 14 points behind 2nd place Dartford ( who parted with their manager as a result incidently) will be any different this year then? .
I agree some will be good, but to get out of the NLS , it might be sensible to have more than an 18 year old keeper, Charlie and Appau ( not counting Staunton at the moment) to augment last years failing to get promoted, Hampton team

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Not negative - just facts , that Hampton were not good enough

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 pm

FMITK, who are you looking at who is doing better business at the moment? And that's a genuine question, I'm not implying we're doing the best business in the league by any stretch! That said, I think most sides in the league would be happy with taking some of the best players available from a playoff contender, regardless of how far they were behind the leaders.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:41 pm
Not negative - just facts , that Hampton were not good enough
What players would you prefer?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Chez, Joey and Kane

PatsWFC

Post by PatsWFC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm

FMITK - top trolling, I mean you are trolling right!?

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

maybe, just maybe the players from last year have other offers, and/or are waiting to be trialists elsewhere. maybe they are looking at offers from us.
one thing for certain - we don't dictate if or when players sign, they (or their agents, argh) do.

we can only judge the success or otherwise of new manager's recruitment when we've seen the whole squad and they have a few games under their belt.
all the will they, won't they sign / do we want them or not stuff around last year's relagated players is achieving nothing.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Offers from others ?

With his positional sense I'd not give Joey Jones a job as a lollipop man. Can you imagine him standing in the local newsagent with his sign as the kids outside take their chance on a busy road. 'Joey? JOEY'

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm
all the comments above are about how happy everyone is about signing players that have operated in the NLS - mostly at Hampton - but that's were they have always been - in the NLS .
What makes you think that failing to get up last year at Hampton and finishing a massive 14 points behind 2nd place Dartford ( who parted with their manager as a result incidently) will be any different this year then? .
I agree some will be good, but to get out of the NLS , it might be sensible to have more than an 18 year old keeper, Charlie and Appau ( not counting Staunton at the moment) to augment last years failing to get promoted, Hampton team
Not true - Gayle, Jolley and Wheeler all have experience of playing at a higher level. Jolley has been pretty successful there too and brings good experience. Wassmer and Cook were the best defensive partnership in NLS last season - it was their failure to score goals which was their biggest issue (only 58, less than the team who finished 16th) and we haven't signed any of their strikers have we? To keep the academy lads is great and is a credit to the brilliant work all those involved have done. They are all promising players too and will add depth to the squad.

I get what you're saying about keeping the players you've mentioned and a few others but we have to be realistic, they're unlikely to want to stay and we're unlikely to be able to afford them, and if we can replace them with decent signings like we've been getting then so much the better. It's just the reality of relegation. Yes, we're still short a couple of real exciting players, but as others have said that will come in time. We're probably half-way to a full squad? If that. And on a final note, if you can't see that Charlie would be the most important player from last season's squad that we could sign, then you need to have another look at who scored all our goals last season!

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 pm

GlenH wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm
Not true - Gayle, Jolley and Wheeler all have experience of playing at a higher level. Jolley has been pretty successful there too and brings good experience.
It's more than just 'experience' at higher levels: Jolley and Wassmer have won promotion to the FL three times between them. Not a bad track record, is it?

Anyone care to add up how many promotions to the FL had been achieved by last season's squad? I'll give you good odds that it's lower than Joey Jones' mental age.

mussy

Post by mussy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Perhaps we should let the new team play a few games when the season starts before we pass judgement - rather than pull them apart pre season? I am really looking forward to what our new manager can achieve if the fans get behind him & the team he builds.

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:37 pm

We have cherry picked a play off team.
We have a bigger budget than that play off team so we can improve on that play off team.
I'll be amazed if we are not top 3.
If so I think we will be averaging 2,000 and everyone's biggest home crowd will be against us. As it used to be.
No overpaid mercenaries, very refreshing.
The most loyal fan to miss Wembley 1994.
Author of "we've got Dereck Brown........Yes! "