these payers we are signing

fatmaninthekitchen

these payers we are signing

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 am

whilst the players we are signing are all getting written up as world beaters - Wheeler is a 'two foot king' etc etc , their history doesn't exactly inspire me, went out of football for a couple of years, Billercay happy to see him leave etc etc , doesn't make him seem as good as Dowse's pie eyed view. Dowse's comments like, he impressed me playing for Tonbridge etc . FFS Tonbridge don't even play in the NLS, What the hell is the matter with established NL performers like Chez, Kane and Joey ( yes Joey) All I am saying is lets no hype up players who are basically rejects from low level clubs. It might not be fair on them to have expectations raised so high

Dowse's Daschund

Re: these payers we are signing

Post by Dowse's Daschund » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 am

It might also not be fair to judge them before we've seen them play.

I trust Dowse's judgment at this stage - whilst the players may not have a proven track record, he does.

Wheeler didn't get the game time presumably because of Ricky Modeste and Jermaine Pennant on the wings and Tamplin's revolving door vanity project.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 am

A tad harsh - Wheeler wasn't just some player who impressed Dowse. He was in the Isthmian team of the year twice in a row at Tonbridge. Yes, things didn't work out for him at Dagenham - who have their own problems - but he wasn't given much of a chance and if we are being fair on Billericay there are quite a few players who have been there in the last 18 months who could easily cut it one or two levels above; but when you have a different set of teammates every week and a manager who thinks he's playing non-league fifa I can imagine it's pretty challenging. I'm happy with the team we have so far and if you add the likes of Charlie Carter, Max K and a decent striker to that list then things start to get a bit more exciting.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:11 am

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 am
whilst the players we are signing are all getting written up as world beaters - Wheeler is a 'two foot king' etc etc , their history doesn't exactly inspire me, went out of football for a couple of years, Billercay happy to see him leave etc etc , doesn't make him seem as good as Dowse's pie eyed view. Dowse's comments like, he impressed me playing for Tonbridge etc . FFS Tonbridge don't even play in the NLS, What the hell is the matter with established NL performers like Chez, Kane and Joey ( yes Joey) All I am saying is lets no hype up players who are basically rejects from low level clubs. It might not be fair on them to have expectations raised so high
“Established NL performer” Chez has just been relegated 2 seasons in a row. Joey Jones has put in more decent performances for the opposition than us over the past 2 years. The only thing ‘established’ is that he’s not very good.

At the moment, some of our already reduced budget is being taken up by the NL wages of Staunton and Lathrope.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:21 am

Excellent post R&WA.

Its going to take Dowson a long time to put together a new team and get it playing the way he wants, coupled with our reduced finances and taking into account the money that others have and I hope its not too rude an awakening for some on here.

Should we be targeting 7th ?. That may sound a fairly low-key expectation but it is what it is. I still expect Staunton to be sold as well. A fee for him would help a lot and also free up his wages
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 am

I’m not sure Dowson is Pie-eyed here; what do you expect him to say when he has to give an interview on each signing... “Yeah, well he is not great, but I reckon we can get him to do a specific job for us and he’s cheap so it’s worth a punt.”

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 am

Theophanous wasn't exactly first choice for Ricay last season and I'm sure he'd score a few goals at this level. Did I read somewhere Wheeler was dropped because he was telling the press stuff about Tampon?

Being a fringe player in a team like that isn't that bad. I'd rather be taking their players than taking Hendon's fringe players, like Hampton.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am

KT15 Card wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 am
Theophanous wasn't exactly first choice for Ricay last season and I'm sure he'd score a few goals at this level. Did I read somewhere Wheeler was dropped because he was telling the press stuff about Tampon?

Being a fringe player in a team like that isn't that bad. I'd rather be taking their players than taking Hendon's fringe players, like Hampton.
Billericay were also playing Theophanous at left wing-back. You can't judge any player for what they did or didn't achieve there. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to play Wheeler in goal. The only signing I've been truly underwhelmed by so far has been Gayle - although I was thoroughly shouted down on that one - but it doesn't look like he's going to be first choice anyway.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 am

And surely we want 'our own' players this season. And less loans like in previous years ?

I hope Wheeler doesn't have KPI's on how many crosses he has to deliver in a season

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am

Gayle and Collier look like utility men which you need with our budget and likely squad size. They have decent NLS experience which is a further bonus. Dowse has worked with both and was confident enough to get them in straight away. That'll do for me for now.

The rebuilding of the front line is crucial, goals are the key currency at this level. The defence as it is, IF Staunton stays, is beginning to shape nicely. I'd hope we become to be in a position to sign Max, because with Carter, and one other behind it's a good midfield for the level. The selling point has to be about having a realistic top 7 shout for a return to the National.

I don't think Dowse will retain any outside of the three mentioned above, but Kane and RGC would still be good signings I think if they were affordable.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am

RGC would be an excellent signing, doubt he'll be short of offers though

Teeth

Re: these players we are signing

Post by Teeth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I personally think that Joey Jones is a better player than alot of posters say he has the ability but I think pressure gets to him especially when fans get on his back

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm

At his best, I think you’d struggle to find a Woking supporter who didn’t rate what Joey can do - but sadly you see that very rarely, when he’s replaced by a defensive player who switches off, doesn’t know his own limits and doesn’t play for the team. He should be too good for us when you consider his better games, but the reality is that he’s made too many mistakes and didn’t deserve a spot in a relegated side last season.

Would he be any better in a league below? Who knows, but after five years of watching him fail to live up to his potential, I’m ok with another group of supporters shouting at him next season.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Would he be any better in a league below? Who knows, but after five years of watching him fail to live up to his potential, I’m ok with another group of supporters shouting at him next season
Very true :)

So far the signing are a bit meh on paper.

Like we were saying on the other thread, what’s happened to the clubs ambition ?

On the plus side , Dowson at last knows these players well and they are his men ( v being told to who you are signing).

It's early days and I am keeping the faith

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm

I think the clubs ambition has to tie in with its financial state

photocard

Post by photocard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm
True, however, if we're now competing with Wealdstone for players, despite averaging over 1500 on the gate for 25 + years, then the whole board need to answer a lot of questions. I get that things are harder in national, with big ex league clubs or smaller clubs with good off field revenue, but in the South if we're not in the top 5 budget wise, then things are a lot worse than I thought.

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm
Absolutely. I think Dowse's earlier quote of being around 7th budget wise is correct.

We're up against a Billericay side throwing cash around that wasn't dissimilar to what Baker had. Baker made a mess of it. Tamplin is still involved in picking the team -and signing players isn't he? Fingers crossed he makes a similar sort of mess of it as Baker managed.

My expections are a play off campaign - not necessarily promotion, and 7th to me should be achievable. I'm simply looking forward to enjoying watching my team play and win games again, fingers crossed.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm

True, however, if we're now competing with Wealdstone for players, despite averaging over 1500 on the gate for 25 + years, then the whole board need to answer a lot of questions. I get that things are harder in national, with big ex league clubs or smaller clubs with good off field revenue, but in the South if we're not in the top 5 budget wise, then things are a lot worse than I though
I just don't get it either, why do we always struggle ?

Putting Billericay to one side

- we are very well supported for this division, we could easily average 1000 more than 70 % in the league, we have a good corporate set up , good supporter trust raising 30 k py, 100k coming in from sheerwater, money from Joe ward via the council.

I'm board of being skint , can someone come and buy us please.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Any chance of a couple of full backs, a striker or two and a couple of midfielders please?
Lots of centrebacks and wingers but other positions required too.

GU21 Card

Post by GU21 Card » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Forgot the season starts tomorrow. A chunk of our players won't be signed until at least 2 weeks before the season starts.
Calling offsides before they happen since 1992.

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Nah fuck it, the OP’s right. I say we sign everyone that got us relegated last season. They’re established talents or something. That’s a better plan than building from scratch.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm ok with signing players from the team that finished 4th with a decent defence

We all tired of conceding endless set pieces and self inflicted comedy last year

Boot it into Westfield Avenue, nobody ever scored from there

skippy

Post by skippy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Last year!?!

Our record since returning to the NL

17/18 - 76 conceded
16/17 - 80 conceded
15/16 - 68 conceded
14/15 - 52 conceded
13/14 - 69 conceded
12/13 - 81 conceded
Last edited by skippy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Jesus

That's horrific reading. How spoiled were we in 2015/16

So 374 goals against in 5 seasons under 'The Messiah'

Old Woking Boy

Post by Old Woking Boy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Unlike FMITK, I am really encouraged by the quality and experience we are signing so far. The main centre back pairing from a team who only missed out on the National League by a penalty shoot out and only conceded 37 goals, is an enormous achievement by the new management team and should fill us with hope and optimism, for what lies ahead.

Jolley is another good addition, experience, tactical nous and a few goals, what more can we ask for? and....he scored a winner at Wembley FFS!

People calling for the likes for Jones, Staunton, Chez and Ferdinand - are we really that bothered?

Perhaps Ferdinand and Staunton, but the other two, no thanks!!

I still find it difficult to get over the 2nd half of the last game of the season, when all we had to do was score. Jones meandering forward on a number of occasions and instead of finding a ream mate, continued to blast weak shots miles over the bar! Chez treating the ball like it was made of cement, crosses awful, unable to find a red and white shirt, giving the ball away and not knowing how to shoot. Sorry, but I would feel very disappointed if those two were with us in 2 months time. Over rated!

The fact is (and you can tell by listening to them) this crop of new signings have come to Woking FC, not only because they are talented and have ambition, but also because it is evident that they appreciate the chance they have been given to play at a prestigious club. It is also clear to see, that all of them, want to play for the management team and would walk over hot coals to get a result. I didn't get that impression at all, last season. Perhaps one or two (Carter, Staunton and Baxter) but that hardly says a lot about the previous manager and his ability to sign the right kind of player for our football club. Dowse has made a very good start!