Today's Woking News & Mail

Lurker

Today's Woking News & Mail

Post by Lurker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 pm

The News & Mail is suggesting that we're about to sign Hampton defender Charlie Wassmer and winger Christian Jolley, and quotes Dowson as saying that he'd also like to sign Max Kretschmar, but that Max has other offers on the table and that "a lot of NLS sides as well as NL clubs" have more money than us to splash about.

The lead story is about Dagenham's financial position ahead of Saturday's National League meeting, with the reporter speculating that, as D&R have made a public appeal for over £110,000 to help them through the season, it would go against existing guidelines for them to be allowed to take part in the National League next season unless that money is donated ahead of the meeting. Against that, Dagenham's chief executive is apparently on the NL board...

Kingfield Ender

Re: Today's Woking News & Mail

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 pm

'A lot of NLS sides have more money than us ?'

Well would have thought ?, you're so doom and gloom
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm

In fact Dowson says

'“It’s important for fans to know we have an “okay” budget. It’s not a good budget. I would say it’s down at about halfway for the division'

Oh Dowse, you're so doom and gloom

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm
In fact Dowson says

'“It’s important for fans to know we have an “okay” budget. It’s not a good budget. I would say it’s down at about halfway for the division'

Oh Dowse, you're so doom and gloom
You're so funny when you sulk Simon!

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm

How the fuck am I sulking when proved correct ?

Planet reality calling !!

I'm glad we've got a good manager, glad the dross who took us down are all gone but Dowson will need time. Isn't the real point here 'why have we only got a budget halfway in the division'?

photocard

Post by photocard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

'Isn't the real point here 'why have we only got a budget halfway in the division'?'

Nail on head. If we really only have a halfway budget for this league, then we're in real trouble. I firmly believe with our support base, we should be able to sustain mid table national league. Christ If Bromley, Sutton, Ebbsfleet, Maidenhead, Dover, Boreham Wood can do it we really should be able to.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:56 pm

I am with you on this one KE. Unless he playing the PR game and playing down the budget intentionally.

As a woking supporter we are always told that we don't have the budget ? Now in the National league I can appreciate there are lots of clubs who have owners chucking the cash about . Although Sutton , Maidenhead , Dover - all team's I would regard as smaller than us seem to be doing well which is fucking depressing .

But in the South , mid table budget ? I would want to be right up there behind Ricky.

We have very good support ( if not the best) in the South . I mean we will be getting 1000 fans more than some of the smaller teams.

We also have boost the budget , Sheerwater cash (100k) , a smart corporate set up, Joe Ward cash via the council and are based in one of the most affluent places in the country.

Pls tell me why are not way up there and have a competitive budget ?

Paint the LGS , laying a new pitch ? our running cost are soooo high , blah blah blah blah
Last edited by Reading Card on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

And to think there are people who blindly believe we can compete financially in the league above

Fancy a reprieve on saturday anyone ?,

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

A reprieve would be an unmitigated disaster.

We've budgeted for NLS, we're prepared for NLS, the fans have accepted NLS and we're not strong enough to be NL itself. THe last two seasons have been such a struggle, where losing has become the norm, I think many of us are looking forward to expecting to win a game or two again.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Football, winning a few games and that SHOULD be the focal point of everything

Except it isn't, sadly

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:54 pm

I imagine there's an element of Dowse playing down the budget publically. When I spoke to him he seemed to think it was around 7th, which is a position we'd all take next April. Clearly we're not as flush as we were when employing the likes of Hutchinson, Boardman, Sinclair, Arter et al last time round. Dowse seemed more shocked he's walked in and got no players left to even talk to!

The players quoted are a good start. Clearly though, a reprieve would be nothing short of a disaster.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Stoo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm
A reprieve would be an unmitigated disaster.

We've budgeted for NLS, we're prepared for NLS, the fans have accepted NLS and we're not strong enough to be NL itself. THe last two seasons have been such a struggle, where losing has become the norm, I think many of us are looking forward to expecting to win a game or two again.
Agreed.
With Dowse in charge and with a fair wind we should be able to get promoted in 2 or 3 years from NLS.

Another season in NL before inevitable relegation next April and we'd then be in NLS (or lower) for the foreseeable future

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Hasn’t Peter Taylor just signed up as D&R manager? He’s been in the game a long time and wouldn’t blindly sign up to a club that’s due to go pop anytime soon. He will be advised accordingly and wouldn’t make such a dumb decision for a few days work. That situation will all be stitched up and sorted before the AGM if it’s not already.

As for the cash situation, it is the familiar story of no one really knows how much. Common sense says we should be up there but unless we see a balance sheet (we won’t) it’s guess work with some logic behind it.
I’d like to think it’s Dowse playing matters down and being pragmatic rather than paying over the top fees for players and not attracting they type of “money orientated ” he says aren’t welcome.
If that’s the case, good on him. Quality yes, mercenaries no.

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm
And to think there are people who blindly believe we can compete financially in the league above

Fancy a reprieve on saturday anyone ?,
A reprieve? Yeah, I’d take it. I’d like to see us play the highest league possible.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Is anyone on here actually saying if we got a reprieve we should not take it ?
I’d like to think it’s Dowse playing matters down and being pragmatic rather than paying over the top fees for players and not attracting they type of “money orientated ” he says aren’t welcome.

There is playing down and playing really down. Whilst it will put off the greedy fuckers , it hardly says come and play for us either. Also what does it say to the fans, anyone thinking of still buying a season ticket. Where has our ambition gone ?

Don't get me wrong - Ricky's chairman stating he is spending 15k per week clearly will attract the wrong type and I like being the underdogs but we are a big club in a shit league.

Surely our minimum expectation/ target is play offs ( so top 5) , so we need a top 5 budget

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 pm

According to Get Surrey Ian Gayle took a significant pay cut to join Woking

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:34 pm
Is anyone on here actually saying if we got a reprieve we should not take it ?

Yep, I’d say don’t take it. Last few seasons haven’t been the best despite some fantastic days. I think we need to regroup, wipe the slate clean and use lots of other cliches to look forward positively and start from point A.

Let’s start from NLS, build those foundations and work
our way back up deservedly rather than on the back of another’s demise.
Don’t get me wrong I’d rather we were still in NL but we were relegated based on the seasons performances. At times we weren’t good enough. If that was me at work I’d expect to be moved down and have to re earn my place. Of course I want Woking to be higher but we aren’t and should focus on where we deserve to be right now. Whichever league they are in, I’ll still be there as will hundreds of others.

With the budget/player issue, Dowse playing it down is neither here on there. Wfc will approach a player, make their offer and the player will see it in black and white but probably with a confidential agreement attached.
If he likes the financial offer/facilities/club plan they will sign. What budget the Gaffer says he has/doesn’t have won’t matter to the player, it’s what they are getting for themselves and what the club plan is.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Well I ballsed up that last post.

The quote isn’t all the view of Readingcard unless it’s adverse and then he said it all!!!!!!!

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Encouraging line on Carter at the bottom of that GetSurrey piece.

As for the stuff about budget. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I can't help but feel that he's trying to play people a little bit, by saying that we have a mid-table budget. For one, that's already gone down from last month, when he first joined it was a top seven budget wasn't it? He also seems to have pretty strong beliefs about not paying silly wages - which is admirable certainly - so surely he's simply trying to put off any Conference South players who are eyeing us up as the proverbial big fish in a small pond and thinking 'I'll have a bit of that'.

Maybe it's just that GetSurrey write naff articles but it doesn't specify that Gayle has taken a pay-cut from Wealdstone to join us does it? I can't imagine a player who has gone from Braintree to Welling to Wealdstone in the space of six months is on big money. If he took a pay cut from his Dagenham days however when he was a promising player at a then established Football League club then that would be more understandable. Or maybe he just took less than he originally asked for because he wanted to join and Dowse bargained him down.

Perhaps I'm an idiot for thinking this but looking at the clubs in our division I cannot believe that there are more than two or three who have more money to play with. If we really are down at that sort of level then god help us... as it doesn't bode well for the long-term future of our club.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm

This is last years league with average attendances. Granted we have Ricky with loads of cash and torquay who are a big club but as I understand have money woes. I know attendances are not everything but they do provide a significant slice of income and give an indication of the scale of the club.

So this is what we are up against. I mean if we string a few decent wins together we will could average 1000 more than most per game.

Surely we want to be bossing this lot ?

1 Dartford 1,053
2 Chelmsford City 897
3 Havant & Waterlooville 880
4 Wealdstone 842
5 St Albans City 765
6 Bath City 702
7 Bognor Regis Town 602
8 Chippenham Town 600
9 Hampton & Richmond Borough 590
10 Welling United 541
11 Braintree Town 531
12 Hemel Hempstead Town 527
13 Eastbourne Borough 517
14 Weston-super-Mare 492
15 Truro City 469
16 Poole Town 407
17 Oxford City 319
18 East Thurrock United 294
19 Gloucester City 284
20 Whitehawk 270
21 Hungerford Town 267
22 Concord Rangers 263

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:31 pm

I for one will take a reprieve to stay in the National league. I don't think it will happen but I live in hope. I cannot for the life of me understand people who seem happy to see us in NLS.
The Aim if Dowse has anthing about him as he seems to indicate is to get out of this league (Upwards) Fast.

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Mid table budget in the conference south. The miraculous Woking F.C. and the non existent money again.

Oh well, we’ll announce the Korean investor one of these days.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 pm

moordykespot wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:31 pm
I for one will take a reprieve to stay in the National league. I don't think it will happen but I live in hope. I cannot for the life of me understand people who seem happy to see us in NLS.
The Aim if Dowse has anthing about him as he seems to indicate is to get out of this league (Upwards) Fast.
I don’t think anyone has said they would be happy about it. Just it's the place we deserve to be based on last two seasons to start again.
I’d be HAPPY to see them in any league other than one lower than the season before. Happiest in the EFL one day.

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Re the budget, could it just be that Dowse wants to get his chosen players to sign quickly -I.e. there’s not a lot of share cash, so get your contract sorted now.

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Spare, not share.