Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Fancy a reprieve on saturday anyone ?,
Definitely not!

photocard

Re: Today's Woking News & Mail

Post by photocard » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 am

We had this last time we were in the south, people saying oh we're not ready, need to spend a couple of seasons here. Why oh why would anyone want to play at a lower level. There no guarantee that we'll ever get out of the south, so if we're given a chance take it. We may get relegated we might not.

We seem to be on a downwood spiral of ambition, firstly it was we can't compete at the top of the national, then we're a yo yo club, and now people are saying we can't survive at all in the national. At this rate we'll be in the Isthmian league saying we can't compete. I'm not advocating reckless spending, but we have to value our club. We a big traditional non league club, with good support, a decent ground, and with the right structure there is no reason why we can't do a Macclesfield.

Just to say I'm not a head in the sand kind of person, I accept that there are major off field issues that worry me hugely. However, be positive people, believe in our latent potential, it might not happen, but constantly downplaying our status, and it will eventually come to pass.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am

We had this last time we were in the south, people saying oh we're not ready, need to spend a couple of seasons here. Why oh why would anyone want to play at a lower level. There no guarantee that we'll ever get out of the south, so if we're given a chance take it. We may get relegated we might not.

We seem to be on a downwood spiral of ambition, firstly it was we can't compete at the top of the national, then we're a yo yo club, and now people are saying we can't survive at all in the national. At this rate we'll be in the Isthmian league saying we can't compete. I'm not advocating reckless spending, but we have to value our club. We a big traditional non league club, with good support, a decent ground, and with the right structure there is no reason why we can't do a Macclesfield.

Just to say I'm not a head in the sand kind of person, I accept that there are major off field issues that worry me hugely. However, be positive people, believe in our latent potential, it might not happen, but constantly downplaying our status, and it will eventually come to pass.
I fully agree with you.

Back in the 90's we were the biggest non league team aiming for the league and now ? Reading a few of Dowse's interviews it is clear he has a issue with big wages so he is clearly playing down the budget somewhat but how much ? Where is the Joe Ward (75 k) and Sheerwater (100k ) cash going ? to the playing budget ?

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am

I fully agree with you.

Back in the 90's we were the biggest non league team aiming for the league and now ? Reading a few of Dowse's interviews it is clear he has a issue with big wages so he is clearly playing down the budget somewhat but how much ? Where is the Joe Ward (75 k) and Sheerwater (100k ) cash going ? to the playing budget ?
TBH Dowse isn't going to shout from the rooftops that he's been given a big budget to get WFC back into the NL (not that I think we have such a budget anyway) is he as all this does is give players & their agents the chance to ask for silly money, so play it down.

As for the money mention I recall the Joe Ward transfer money was needed to avert a cash flow problem at that time and I suspect most/part of the Sheerwater money will go into the budget. All I hope for is whatever budget is given to Dowse it is enough to be competitive next season, not necessarily to win the NLS but at least be amongst the clubs fighting for the play-offs (which is what we should be aiming for).

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Reading Card wrote: Back in the 90's we were the biggest non league team aiming for the league and now ?
constantly downplaying our status, and it will eventually come to pass.
[/quote]

Agreed. There are plenty of teams with momentum in the other direction - for example, the Dorking Wanderers Chair/manager is already being quoted as saying they are looking to win the league this season, so we may even get eclipsed locally if we are not careful.

I wouldn't want to benefit from another club's off the field problems, but if the chance came, of course we should grab it with both hands and be positive.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I don't think the Conf board will boot Dagenham. Will be the same as Chester in 2009. 'Of course we can fund ourselves this season' etc

Wait for confirmation of their place and then take admin. Simple
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:04 pm

photocard wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 am

Nail on head for me. Last time we were down there, we got to the final and semi-final of the play-offs and won the league. No guarantee of repeating that. We could be in the South for five years + and then if we want to aim for the FL, that could take another five years +. Yes it's lovely beering it up in the stands and winning a few more games, but the football is absolutely wank and so are most of the grounds.

I wouldn't read too much into the budget comments. Baker used to moan about the budget and look at the players he signed!

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:02 pm

' wouldn't read too much into the budget comments. Baker used to moan about the budget and look at the players he signed!

Trevor Benjamin anyone ?

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am
[Where is the Joe Ward (75 k) and Sheerwater (100k ) cash going ? to the playing budget ?

In our best years we run at £150k deficit so I shold imagine it goes to fill that.
Wouldn't surprise me if we're back in the treading water until the redevelopment is completed attitude.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm

You're probably right Skippy

I'm not expecting to see the development in my lifetime though

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Are the same people who believe we have a mid table conference south budget the same who believed Garry Hill put together a team including Cole, Betsy, Goddard, Payne, Rendell, Morgan and Murtagh for £350k?

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:30 pm
Are the same people who believe we have a mid table conference south budget the same who believed Garry Hill put together a team including Cole, Betsy, Goddard, Payne, Rendell, Morgan and Murtagh for £350k?
Yes.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I’d be more than happy for a resounding victory in the AGM Cup tomorrow.

A Dowse lead side, would be a better bet to stay up than the wasterals of last year.

And tbf we would have nothing to lose because even a large number of our supporters feel we’d go down.

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 pm

IF something untoward happens and we’re back in the Conference Proper I will be the happiest man in happy town.
I loved the Isthmian Days on the way up. I hated going back down to that level last time.
The thought of another five years down here fills me with dread nowadays.
Much as I’d hate to benefit from the misfortune of others, I’d rather that than be travelling a day to Truro when I might’ve been going to Wrexham or Chesterfield instead.
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:59 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm
You're probably right Skippy

I'm not expecting to see the development in my lifetime though
I hope you’ll outlive me Simon and I expect some development to happen in my lifetime. It’s several years away though so don’t go banking on it for the immediate future.

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

I remember all those smug D&R fans taking over the KRE when we played them at the start of the 2016 season, confident they would get promotion back to League 2 first time round. So bring on the AGM Cup Final...