Players for next season

FanFromThe90's

Players for next season

Post by FanFromThe90's » Wed May 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I may have missed a few things recently, but i noticed in Dowse's interview that he said he had a blank piece of paper to build a squad from. Does that mean every player has left? I know we've managed to lose banton, but there were a number of others on 2 year deals. Have they all gone?

Dan

Re: Players for next season

Post by Dan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

The only other player I'm aware of on a two year deal is Josh Staunton. Joe Ward was the other one.

In all honesty, I'd only want a couple to stay anyway.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Martin Tyler said in his BBC interview that he hopes he can persuade 2 or 3 to stay for next season?

I hope the likes of Lazar; Appau etc can be kept. Not bothered about the senior players

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Carter is the big one for me. He will be fantastic at this level and obviously has the added benefit of being 'one of our own'. Hopefully as he's still young he can see the benefits of giving it at least one more year. If he continues to improve at the rate he has over the last two years I can see him being a league player by 2019/20.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm

On top of Staunton, I'd look at Kane, Wynter and Charlie. RGC I'd expect to see in the National. Rest I wouldn't lose any sleep over.

CardinalNewman

Post by CardinalNewman » Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Few updates on players of interest:

Josh Staunton: Contracted to us for next year but attending Jamie Vardy Academy over the summer

Inih Effiong: Without a club, also attending V9 Academy

Nicke Kabamba: Released by Pompey, scored 33 in 70 for Hampton under Dowse. On loan at Aldershot last year, wasn’t prolific but scored in important games

Anthony Cook: Released by Ebbsfleet

I’m also hoping that the academy lads will stay: Lazar, Appau etc. I think a season of first team football in the Conference South will do them the world of good. Also hope Carter will stay but wouldn’t deny him any chance of progressing up the leagues.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I will add that the list I put together didn't take into account the likes of Lazar

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

What about Max Blackmore of Westfield who, according to the WN&M, managed to score 52 goals last season.

moordykespot

Post by moordykespot » Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm

I would really like Staunton and Wynter to stay and Isaac also

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Ian B wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm
What about Max Blackmore of Westfield who, according to the WN&M, managed to score 52 goals last season.
He was in my year at secondary school so I find that quite funny to see his name mentioned. I believe he used to be in our academy a few years ago but didn't make the grade. I think it would be a big step up from the Combined Counties to National League South to be honest but I've got no problem with looking at a few of the better Isthmian players. Billericay have probably released 40 or 50 players on their own?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I'd be made up if the majority of Wynter, Staunton, Ferdinand, Carter and Grego-Cox stayed, though I'd be surprised if we got more than one of them tbh. I presume we're able to carry some weight with getting Stoj and Appau tied down too, and both showed some real promise last year. Dropping down a level could be the thing they need to kick on in their development with regular football.

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm

I’d try and get Cookie as he gets the desire and drive.
To see him yelling at Banton and others to up their game shows he has heart and passion.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Spitfire MH434 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm
To see him yelling at Banton and others to up their game shows he has heart and passion.
Yeah he has 'desire'. Not very good at football though.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm
Spitfire MH434 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm
Cook was terrible. Offered nothing apart from shit free kicks week after week after week.

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm

gth1292 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Carter is the big one for me. He will be fantastic at this level and obviously has the added benefit of being 'one of our own'. Hopefully as he's still young he can see the benefits of giving it at least one more year. If he continues to improve at the rate he has over the last two years I can see him being a league player by 2019/20.
It would be great for us if he stays. But I’d be a bit disappointed for him to be honest. In a decent team he’d thrive in the conference.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed May 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Baldman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm
gth1292 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm
It would be great for us if he stays. But I’d be a bit disappointed for him to be honest. In a decent team he’d thrive in the conference.
If I were him - a big hypothetical admittedly - I would see another year at my boyhood club as the best way to continue progressing. You have to remember that it's probably only been in the second-half of this season that he's become a regular in the starting line-up - and that was partially down to Chez's injury - and playing every game in NL South would be preferable to likely being a fringe player in a National team. The goals he has scored from midfield this season in a struggling team are an indicator of his ability and potential but there are definite elements of his game that could be improved and at his age he needs to be absolutely guaranteed minutes as a starter. I hope he sees it that way too!

Old Woking Boy

Post by Old Woking Boy » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm

I agree with a few others on here with reference to Cook. Showed great passion and always seemed to give everything, but unfortunately, just didn't look good enough. He showed real leadership qualities at times, it was just a shame his football was always found wanting.

I'd put Chez in that category too, his distribution was poor at best. I was expecting so much more from him.

I think Staunton has more to give, showed glimpses in games of why he has been thought of so highly in some quarters. Again a passionate lad, that gave everything, perhaps needs a proper bruiser of a centre back to help him along.

MC123

Post by MC123 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Sam mason for no. 1?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm

MC123 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Sam mason for no. 1?
I don't think that'd be a good idea. I like him, and both think and expect him to get game-time this coming season, but I think the gap is an opportunity to get a more experienced head in goal who can address one of our main weaknesses; asserting ourselves from crosses. Baxter was a great keeper but still got bullied in the air, and frankly I'm still traumatised on Wollacott's behalf from the Barrow game. An experienced communicator who's 6'0 tall or more would help us out a lot in this regard.

Not knocking Sam at all though. He really impressed me in his November cameo.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Whoever we sign for this season, can we cut the bullshit around announcing "another signing to be announced at xpm" like we did for Kane fucking Ferdinand last season? Kane's OK. I'm not a massive fan, but he does a job - so let's not treat the retention of average players like something we should get excited about. Having too many average/crap players got us relegated.

FWIW, I'd like to keep RGC, Isaac and Wynter from last season (to add to Staunton). Wouldn't be upset to see most of the ex-academy guys retained, or Ralph, Carter or Ferdinand (subject to the right players being alongside him) as well. Outside of that, I'd trust the new manager to have a much better idea of who will and won't work in the league than the 12 year old clown we trusted to do it last summer.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Spitfire MH434

Post by Spitfire MH434 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Lurker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Cook was terrible. Offered nothing apart from shit free kicks week after week after week.
You’ve got a very good point on the free kicks. I don’t remember a single one on target. Forgotten that.
New man new broom, out with the old and in with the new throughout perhaps.
Interesting times.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am

Spitfire MH434 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Lurker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm

You’ve got a very good point on the free kicks. I don’t remember a single one on target. Forgotten that.
Interesting times.
He hit the bar with two minutes to go on his debut, and I got excited that we had more than one set-piece taker in the team. That was as close as he got!

djspeak

Post by djspeak » Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 am

Lazar has interest from other clubs...

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am
Spitfire MH434 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Interesting times.
He hit the bar with two minutes to go on his debut, and I got excited that we had more than one set-piece taker in the team. That was as close as he got!
According to Banton it's a requirement to post online hitting the bar