Guest in the Lounge: Lloyd Wye

jonwoozley

Re: Guest in the Lounge: Lloyd Wye

Post by jonwoozley » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:28 am

We lost every game he played in his first season.
He joined when his brother left.
He was either one of Geoff's first signings or Bill Dodgin's last.
The most loyal fan to miss Wembley 1994.
Author of "we've got Dereck Brown........Yes! "

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 am

He scored an amazing daisy cutter volley on a plastic pitch, does anyone remember the team? I think it was away to Feltham??

doylie

Post by doylie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

Yeah it was at the Feltham Arena, but iirc it wasn't against Feltham, it was in the London Senior Cup or League Cup against someone else because their pitch was unplayable (Waltham Forest???), Rainman KE will remember.

He was first played by Dodgin v Hertford Town away, in fact his first home game he faced Lippiatt/Caterer's Maidenhead United with Batty in goal (Maybe Biggo and Mitchell for the visitors too?)

He didn't get much of a look in when Geoff took over and iirc it was 14 months before he appeared in a winning Woking side.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Luxembourg Card

Post by Luxembourg Card » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I think it was Kingsbury. Was that the game where we all pitched up at their ground to be told the game was off there and had been re-arranged for an 5.30pm (or something) kick-off at Feltham?

KingoftheField

Post by KingoftheField » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Cardinals Rule wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:38 pm
He's back!
He couldn't resist!

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Legend, and as has been said a couple of times in this thread already, his performance at the Scum FAT SF away game was one of the best performances of a Woking player I have seen. He was superb that day.

Nico mentions that Gwynne was here earlier in the season and it was good to get an interview with him in the bar after the game, recalling the old times. Might be nice if the same could happen with Lloyd, for those that wont be in the lounge. I am sure that there are a number of fans who would like to hear from him and maybe even ask him a few questions

Plug

Post by Plug » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Full house, absolutely spot on Plug (nice to see you back on here and appreciate your follow on Twitter)
Only 'back on here' for quizzes such as this and the prediction competitions, Doylie.

I can make an exception to re-recommend Cardinal Tales to my fellow Woking fans, though. Essential twitter following for anyone with a feel for the soul and nostalgia of the club.

An exception to pay tribute to Lloyd Wye too. Interesting thing about Lloydie's six reds is that, for such a "wholehearted" player, many were actually quite contentious. Not the infamous Merthyr one, although the officials never saw it and went on the reaction and condition of D'Auria, but a fair few of the others. I remember the Sutton and Runcorn ones being pretty soft and played for by the oppo. Carshalton too. A fair few of his yellows over the years might have been reds in the modern era, though. Robust playing style notwithstanding Lloyd was an outstanding left back (and not bad centre half either). How many players play that many games for a single club? Let alone starting out three divisions lower than where he ended up. Reliably one of the best left backs in non league by the mid 1990s.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm

That's a shame Plug. During our recent horror run I could have done with a Monday morning dose of perspective from you in amongst some of the tripe that was going on on here.

doylie

Post by doylie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Luxembourg Card wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 pm
I think it was Kingsbury. Was that the game where we all pitched up at their ground to be told the game was off there and had been re-arranged for an 5.30pm (or something) kick-off at Feltham?
Yes it was, Kingsbury that's it!

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

The sending off against Merthyr.. what exactly did he do? I only saw it out of the corner of my eye (from the KRE from memory) and from a distance away. Was it a punch or an elbow?

nb1978

Post by nb1978 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Was a bit of a 'forearm smash' IIRC. I'm fairly certain he got into a bit of hot water over that. Seem to remember a bit in the press about the possibility of criminal charges. I remember Tommy Hutchinson (ex-of Manchester City and he of the 'goal at each end' in the 81 (?) cup final) coming in to the pitch to try and sort it all out. I also remember that we lost the game.

Plug is right, of all six that was probably the only really naughty one. The one at Carshalton was a 'last man' foul, if I recall and the assault on Gary Abbot was one of those that you could see coming from about four miles away.

Byfleet Village Card

Post by Byfleet Village Card » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm

I have a shirt at home that's from Lloyd Wye's testimonial match against Spurs. I believe it is match worn as it has embroidery on it referring to the game, and a number on the back. He played before my time as a Woking fan, but the shirt is a number 3, would he have worn that during the game as he was a left back?

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:27 pm

nb1978 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Plug is right, of all six that was probably the only really naughty one. The one at Carshalton was a 'last man' foul, if I recall and the assault on Gary Abbot was one of those that you could see coming from about four miles away.
And considering Gary Abbott was a big-nosed Pinocchio c**t, I think it's ok.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

nb1978

Post by nb1978 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:27 pm
nb1978 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 pm

And considering Gary Abbott was a big-nosed Pinocchio c**t, I think it's ok.
Absolutely. Quite. Bit like killing a fly or running over a fox. Entirely socially acceptable and often completely unavoidable.

DesCartes

Post by DesCartes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Byfleet Village Card wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm
I have a shirt at home that's from Lloyd Wye's testimonial match against Spurs. I believe it is match worn as it has embroidery on it referring to the game, and a number on the back. He played before my time as a Woking fan, but the shirt is a number 3, would he have worn that during the game as he was a left back?
I've got one of his socks from the 1996-97 Trophy Final, which he lobbed into the crowd.

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm

I remember him wearing 3. But my memory says he wore number 11 a lot. Is that right? Doylie perhaps?

skippy

Post by skippy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Adie Cowler had the No.3 shirt, Lloydy got it when he left.
A certain Mr Steele inherited the 11 shirt.

doylie

Post by doylie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Byfleet Village Card wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm
According to the Testimonial Programme he played at No3 (his usual position) I have a vague recollection of someone posting the image of the embroidered badge on Facebook not that long ago (was that you?) which also tallies up with Lloyd saying that he was clearing out a few bits of his old Woking stuff not that long ago if anyone was interested.

The game was the last time that Clive Walker played (and scored) in a Woking shirt, it also saw Stuart Nethercott score for both Woking (OG) and Tottenham Hotspur.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Was Abbott at Shots with Borg as Manager surely all those stars couldn’t align??

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Since85 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm
Was Abbott at Shots with Borg as Manager surely all those stars couldn’t align??
He was. In the 0-0 FA Trophy game at Kingfield, ol’ Pinocchio stuck a header over from about a yard out in the last minute of stoppage time. It was so close that when he made contact a load of the unwashed started celebrating as it looked impossible to miss.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 pm
Since85 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm
He was. In the 0-0 FA Trophy game at Kingfield, ol’ Pinocchio stuck a header over from about a yard out in the last minute of stoppage time. It was so close that when he made contact a load of the unwashed started celebrating as it looked impossible to miss.
Cue, the KRE immediately singing "You should have used your nose, you should have used your nose"

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Bertie wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am
Cue, the KRE immediately singing "You should have used your nose, you should have used your nose"
LOL
This is what a name "humor"!!!
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

doylie

Post by doylie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I’m sure Lloydie will receive a big warm Cardinal welcome from everyone today - I hope he enjoys his day - #CardinalLegend Image