National League Teams Finances

kris

National League Teams Finances

Post by kris » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 am

So Hartlepool's struggles have been well documented and, more recently, Chester needing 50k in the short term to cover costs, it now appears Macclesfield have been unable to pay players and staff for January and rumours are Dagenham are now close to serious cash flow problems. With the increase in players wages across England, and the moneybags teams in our league over the last few years ( Forest Green/Eastleigh etc) driving up wages further, do we think it will soon be impossible for the smaller clubs of this league to compete without serious investment? Could we be in the same boat if our potential investor pulls out?

Trust-in-The-Hill

Re: National League Teams Finances

Post by Trust-in-The-Hill » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 am

kris wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 am
So Hartlepool's struggles have been well documented and, more recently, Chester needing 50k in the short term to cover costs, it now appears Macclesfield have been unable to pay players and staff for January and rumours are Dagenham are now close to serious cash flow problems. With the increase in players wages across England, and the moneybags teams in our league over the last few years ( Forest Green/Eastleigh etc) driving up wages further, do we think it will soon be impossible for the smaller clubs of this league to compete without serious investment? Could we be in the same boat if our potential investor pulls out?
Good question.

The accounts speak for themselves with averaging 200-300k loss per annum so a very strong yes.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am

kris wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 am
I think I’m correct in saying that all of ours up to this point have been guaranteed / safeguarded by PJ or CI. So an actual fan.

Going forward if nothing was agreed I’d imagine we’d have to just cut cloth accordingly... which would mean a very cheap team of academy kids getting beaten every week I expect.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am

Going forward if nothing was agreed I’d imagine we’d have to just cut cloth accordingly... which would mean a very cheap team of academy kids getting beaten every week I expect.
And eventually coming to rest in a league that could sustain us. Possibly. Local team around here in Step 4 (Fleet, Farnborough, Slough), same financial problems, much smaller scale.
@MikeOllington

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Problem with that theory MrO is that we have a conference ground that is expensive to run without generating a great deal of cash. If the crowd goes down in line with the relegations we soon become unsustainable at any level

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 am

What makes the ground more expensive to run than the smaller grounds in our league?

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am

I don’t know the specifics but have been told the LGS is expensive to run.
There is also an array of separate, ageing, buildings to maintain, heat, and light.
Compare to Westfield - a small part of one shared building and a tiny stand at one end.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm

I see that Paul Doswell is still incessantly whingeing about the unfairness of life when you're the manager of a Conference team with a 4G pitch.

https://twitter.com/doswellpaul?lang=en

More interestingly, he names five clubs in the division who, according to him, are in desperate financial trouble. We all know about Hartlepool, Dagenham, Chester and Macclesfield, but the fifth club he names is Aldershot.

Surely not?

Bowler Hat

Post by Bowler Hat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Thought they'd be rolling in it after getting their supporters to dig into their own pockets again, and selling their best player.

gth1292

Post by gth1292 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Lurker wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm
I see that Paul Doswell is still incessantly whingeing about the unfairness of life when you're the manager of a Conference team with a 4G pitch.

https://twitter.com/doswellpaul?lang=en

More interestingly, he names five clubs in the division who, according to him, are in desperate financial trouble. We all know about Hartlepool, Dagenham, Chester and Macclesfield, but the fifth club he names is Aldershot.

Surely not?
Since been forced to apologise for incorrectly naming Aldershot. Managers shouldn't be allowed near social media (or at least not at this level where the accounts aren't carefully looked after by agents and media managers).

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm

what is funnier is the way he's writing his tweets. They may aswell finish the league in January as Sutton have already won it.

Don't know what would be funnier, them finishing 8th or getting demoted two divisions...

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 pm

‏This was my favourite

@DoswellPaul
American footballers worth £150 million each play on field turf the same company as Sutton use.

@Alan_Alger_
Their game does not involve the ball touching the surface for over 98% of the game.

Almost as it's a massive conspiracy against Sutton, rather than everyone else knowing the surface is shit and like playing on a bouncy castle.

"we play on mud fields instead" as if there's no middle ground between 3G and mud.

gth1292

Post by gth1292 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm
what is funnier is the way he's writing his tweets. They may aswell finish the league in January as Sutton have already won it.

Don't know what would be funnier, them finishing 8th or getting demoted two divisions...
Agreed. They're not even top. If they were 15 points clear I could understand it. Talk about heaping unnecessary pressure on your team by basically implying that you're going to get promoted. I'd be very surprised if Tranmere don't get over the line eventually and it's a reflection of how poor this league has been this year that despite being awful for three months they could still manage it.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

@DoswellPaul
American footballers worth £150 million each play on field turf the same company as Sutton use.

That’s as random as me saying I’ve got the same hair colour as Adolph Hitler, jog on Doswell

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm

And don’t the gridiron chaps get lots of joint injuries that they blame on the carpet?

JamesShot

Post by JamesShot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm
And don’t the gridiron chaps get lots of joint injuries that they blame on the carpet?
Yes they do suffer from a number of ankle and knee injuries which can't all be attributed to heavy tackling. American Football is whole different sport and irrelevant to point that Doswell is trying to make.

Our Assistant Manager James Rowe made his own statement/tweet in regards to 3/4G pitches and to Doswell saying we were in a financial pickle, a comment which he has since issued an apology for.

"3/4 g pitches clearly give clubs in our division financial gain/success and connects well to the community but we have to protect the game. Currently the 3/4g surface makes for an unrealistic game of football, the bounce of the ball isn’t correct, our players with previous serious injuries struggle for days after & the ball always seems to be out of play. We are in a healthy financial position with a sensible budget. The answer against financial struggle isn’t a 4g pitch, one being the diversion of revenue that is used to stockpile young players at the top"

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

These are very sensible comments from Rowe. I was open minded re 3g pitches ( even edging towards pro them) but our game at Maidstone turned me the other way ( not regarding the result). It just all felt so plastic and the goals made it feel artificial - like a training game. The stockpiling of young players in the Premier League academies is a huge issue - even a scandal; the exorbitant salaries to young players skews everything. Respect to those who make the break and build a proper football career for themselves

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm

cardtrick wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm
These are very sensible comments from Rowe. I was open minded re 3g pitches ( even edging towards pro them) but our game at Maidstone turned me the other way ( not regarding the result). It just all felt so plastic and the goals made it feel artificial - like a training game. The stockpiling of young players in the Premier League academies is a huge issue - even a scandal; the exorbitant salaries to young players skews everything. Respect to those who make the break and build a proper football career for themselves
Completely agree with his stock piling comments so much, it can’t be described by an adjective. Absolutely spot on.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

H Card

Post by H Card » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Problem is this will never change (with the power the Premiershit has) and with all these young players pissing around in the reserves it will add to the call for b teams and thus kill English football as we know it.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Aha! I used to have a lot of time for him, but since piegate and the general mis-management of the Arsenal cup tie old Salty Doswell hasn’t done himself many favours. I haven’t seen him quite so animated since someone threatened to let a flare off on his pitch, boing!
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Agree with a lot of that, but whatever happens at the top of the game, it doesn’t change the fact that lower league clubs are the authors of their own problems by overpaying players.

London_Card

Post by London_Card » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:11 am

Bit of a fire sale going on at Dagenham so they obviously are struggling with their short-term finances...

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Wood and Orient just signed a pair from Dagenham i see.

Any good opportunities for us ? ( a defender or two?!)

or are we ;

a. skint too
b. AL happy with what we have
c. Can't sign the 'right' player

We have two of the highest earners leave us for fees , why no incoming players ?

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Wood and Orient just signed a pair from Dagenham i see.

Any good opportunities for us ? ( a defender or two?!)

or are we ;

a. skint too
b. AL happy with what we have
c. Can't sign the 'right' player

We have two of the highest earners leave us for fees , why no incoming players ?
The fee for Effiong was only a nominal one. Allegedly we paid the same amount for Lathrope.

We've brought in Cook (on loan, but presumably we're paying at least half his wages) and Grego-Cox, whose QPR contract was cancelled so that he could sign for us, so I doubt he's on peanuts. We have Ralph and Wynter coming back from injury, and as above, Lathrope is now with us. I'd guess that we've decided we have enough in the squad to keep out of trouble this season, so it makes more sense to hold on to the bulk of the Ward money for next season.

Of course, it might just be that we're skint...

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

The signings of Lathrope, Cook and Greco-Cox have replenished the squad and I think we'll be safe and in and around mid table with them. With no Trophy to go for I'd expect no signings now other than if RCC becomes available on loan