Welcome to phpBB Cardsboard

MrO
Site Admin

Welcome to phpBB Cardsboard

Post by MrO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 am

Hello All,

Welcome to those who are lurking or have registered for the new layout Cardsboard. Please feel free to have a look around and Private Message me if you have any questions.

This isn't the final thing and development is still ongoing. If you have ideas, drop them on the end of this thread and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,
MrO

Hoofit

Re: Welcome to phpBB Cardsboard

Post by Hoofit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:39 pm

The adverts are a bit in your face. On my screen most of the page is headings, forum rules, adverts or other buttons. It is really tough to find the real content - especially compared to the old site - haven't tried this on a smartphone yet, but I think it's going to be painful. There are even ads between posts on the same thread (i know you get used to these things, but..)

Could you at least remove the in-thread ads? Or put the ads down the right hand side so they can be ignored?

Also - why not allow Boost-the-Budget contributors to turn the ads off? Or why put ads on at all - it is hardly going to make a fortune on here.

GardenGareth

Post by GardenGareth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:02 pm

What's the point in moving anyway when their are absolutely no problems with the message board we currently use?
On these boards, I don't know what messages I have not read.
Adverts all over the place, which we don't have on the current one.
You can't respond to specific posts.
Just seems a bit of a strange decision, but I guess there must be some reasoning behind it.

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Hoofit wrote:The adverts are a bit in your face.....Also - why not allow Boost-the-Budget contributors to turn the ads off? Or why put ads on at all - it is hardly going to make a fortune on here.
Yes, they are a bit but we're playing with layout.

I need to talk to the Trust about BtB.

In 12 hours, it's turned over £4. On a similar run rate, that's annual hosting paid for in a month plus some back into the Trust.

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Gareth wrote:What's the point in moving anyway when their are absolutely no problems with the message board we currently use?
Just seems a bit of a strange decision, but I guess there must be some reasoning behind it.
There are problems with the current format. It's no longer supported and it's insecure. There are more functions to manage users and more that users can do to report problems rather than someone having to be here 24/7 or monitoring Twitter.

The adverts were put into monetise the site for those who aren't Trust members. There are running costs associated with the server and an opportunity to put something back into the Club. The Ads can be tailored, I've started with a layout to figure out how it works. As above, I've discussed with the Trust the opportunity to opt-out.

With respect to responding to particular messages, it's a penalty of flat boards. Nobody's making threaded boards (well one company does and they want a couple of hundred quid up front). On the other board, people were responding out of time because they were using flat view. To overcome it here, click the Quote button and quote the post you're responding to.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:36 pm

You can go to the latest unread post in a topic I believe, it's one of the buttons on the forum view page in each topic row

Edit: It's this button here, which will be to the left of the topic title on the View Forum page if there's unread messages - Image

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:21 pm

That little orange icon:

Geordiejohn

Post by Geordiejohn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 am

Gareth wrote:What's the point in moving anyway when their are absolutely no problems with the message board we currently use?
Just testing it out....
You reply to specific posts (as I have done here) by clicking on 'Quote' button

Apologies if this is mentioned further down the thread but just playing around with new site myself...

EDIT: I see how it works now!!
Reliving the glorious 80's of playing Grimsby, Wrexham and Cambridge. Luton were a league above....

Hoofit

Post by Hoofit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm

MrO wrote:
Hoofit wrote:The adverts are a bit in your face.....Also - why not allow Boost-the-Budget contributors to turn the ads off? Or why put ads on at all - it is hardly going to make a fortune on here.
Yes, they are a bit but we're playing with layout.

I need to talk to the Trust about BtB.

In 12 hours, it's turned over £4. On a similar run rate, that's annual hosting paid for in a month plus some back into the Trust.
Not bad, that return is worthwhile! Woking supporters must go online a lot.

russ

Post by russ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 am

Is the plan to just have the one 'cardsboard' forum or several sub-forums to allow off topic discussions?

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 am

Just the one forum at the moment, see how it develops.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Have made a few changes to the design today, thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Harribo

Post by Harribo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

can i get the ads turned off? i did pm about being in the trust but got no response

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Ditto here - Ads just make the page messy

old brian

Post by old brian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Please hurry up and close theother board down. People are still posting more on the old one.

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

old brian wrote:Please hurry up and close theother board down. People are still posting more on the old one.
Your wish is my command. Almost.

skippy

Post by skippy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Harribo wrote:can i get the ads turned off? i did pm about being in the trust but got no response

There may be a delay because of Trust data protection compliance.

That said if Sicknote had to manually approve my registration he could at least have switched my ads off.......

Rio

Post by Rio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Nick wrote:Have made a few changes to the design today, thoughts/suggestions welcome!
Nick/ MrO,
Any chance there can be a link that clicks you into the next thread, instead of having to go back?
Also, if there's unread messages, is there going to be a filter that'll direct you straight there, or have you got to go through each thread until you get to it? Not so much a problem at the moment, but if the thread gets 10+ pages long for example, could get a tad annoying.

Apologies if both are already there, still becoming familiar with the site.
Cheers, John

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 pm

There's a little orange icon that takes you straight to the next unread message in a thread. It's directly to the left of the thread title.

I'd like the next / previous topic thing too. It's there on the Football 365 forum which I think is similar in it's design so hopefully it's a case of switching it on here

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Will sort out a next/previous link, know it's possible as I've got it on another forum I run

alas Tom Jones

Post by alas Tom Jones » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:01 pm

The new forum looks great on my computer, but on my (three years old) Nokia mobile I can only view the first message in each topic. Clicking on Previous topic again reveals only the first message there. Is there a way round this, so that I can read complete discussions on the new site? As things stand, I won't be able to read your advice on my phone and I'll have to crank up my old, slow pc.

Secondly, I'm not sure that it's necessarily a good idea to reveal the 'identities' of those registered users who are currently browsing the forum. Will everyone be happy to have this information displayed?

Lastly (for now) I've worked out that the icon for changing the font size works by switching between three sizes with each click. Very handy, thanks.

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks. What model Nokia do you have? Is it running Symbian or something else?

If you have a personal preference to hide your online presence, you can go to the User Control Panel, click on the Board Preferences, on the Edit Global Settings tab select "Yes" for "Hide my online status".

alas Tom Jones

Post by alas Tom Jones » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, it's a 2700 Classic. I don't have the technical details you mentioned, but it has now started showing all the replies within topics so the problem seems to have resolved itself.

MrO
Site Admin

Post by MrO » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Good news, pleased that it's working.

Enders

Post by Enders » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

Morning,

How does one go about ignoring threads on this new forum?
The old forum had an "ignore" button visible next to each thread but I cannot see anything here at the moment?
Also, are you able to ignore individual posters as well?