Aldershot

Nick

Re: Aldershot

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:45 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:40 pm
I find it amazing that they are still defending that defeat on shotsweb. If we lost 7-0 to a team 2 leagues below us with any team then I’d be embarrassed. Really does go to show how great our youth team is given how many former Woking youth players we have in our squad.

Agreed, as Jacob put on Twitter earlier Scott Harrison has done a fantastic job with the academy.

darreng

Post by darreng » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Nick wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:45 pm
WFC96 wrote:
I find it amazing that they are still defending that defeat on shotsweb. If we lost 7-0 to a team 2 leagues below us with any team then I’d be embarrassed. Really does go to show how great our youth team is given how many former Woking youth players we have in our squad.

Agreed, as Jacob put on Twitter earlier Scott Harrison has done a fantastic job with the academy.
I was discussing with an Aldershot fan yesterday how they never bring anyone through their academy. Even worse, they released their youth player of the year for last season who went on to make his debut for Crawley in October.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Bedford are three levels below Aldershot, not two.

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Lurker wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm
WFC96 wrote:
Bedford are three levels below Aldershot, not two.
Pedant* alert: that’s not what s/he said though

*Sorry to go a bit Descartes on ya ass there and that :-(
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm

In a bad week for Aldershot, their resident James Wade didn't cover himself in glory last night at the darts either

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/46628194
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/46632477

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:18 pm

JAM wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm
In a bad week for Aldershot, their resident James Wade didn't cover himself in glory last night at the darts either

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/46628194
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/46632477
Aldershot fans are blaming Seigo Asada for allowing Wade to get so close to him.

scorp

Post by scorp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:38 pm
ABR wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:58 pm
This birdman guy. Why come on here to defend. I thought your board was shots web.
ABR, as Stoo has said, explanations from our side are fair. Just to balance things out for you, Kanu's Nan and Kingfield Ender occasionally post on Shotsweb, even on non-Woking threads. I have no qualms about that as it can put a different perspective on things.
And, Birdie, they are made welcome, as you know.

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Blimey Scorp, top marks there for bringing back to life such an old thread!

With resurrection qualities like that, have you thought about putting your name forward to help something like- i dunno, a struggling relegation threatened football team in poor form and in dire straights into a biblical monumental recovery?

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am

They dropped into the bottom four at the weekend.

It all feels a bit horribly familiar to what happened to us last season.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am

Stoo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am
They dropped into the bottom four at the weekend.

It all feels a bit horribly familiar to what happened to us last season.
This time last year we were still comfortably in mid table and only dropped into the bottom four a couple of weeks from the end of the season. Even then we had the chances to save ourselves but f**ked them up. Aldershot still have plenty of time to pull themselves away from the relegation zone. Whether they have the ability, determination, squad to do so is a different discussion.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am

They also have a lot less points than we did this time last year
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

oakie

Post by oakie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 am

They are bottom of the Form Table over last 8 games - 0 W 3 D 5 L - Scored 5 Conceded 14
Lowest scorers in the division - just 24 in 28 games
Third worst goal difference at -21 (Braintree -28 and Maidenhead -22)

Do they have enough about them to turn that around?

Braintree look down already but I don't readily see 3 other names who will definitely finish below Aldershot

Chesterfield have drawn 14 out of 28 so if they can start scoring should pick up points and potentially move out of danger, their GD is mid-table
Maidstone have started a bounce since binning off Wheeler

They have very few games left to play against those around them & a horrid run of fixtures in March - Gateshead (H), Barrow (A), Orient (H), Salford (H), Boreham Wood (A), Fylde (H) - there going to need to win some of those home games. The trip to Maidstone at end of April could be a relegation decider

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am

I don't want them to go down. I missed the two games against them at Christmas, usual results notwithstanding.

An away crowd on boxing day of about 50 or an away crowd on NYD of about 1200. The derbies against Hampton were soul destroying, not least because they were so bloody easy.

Financially I think we need Shots as much as they need us.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 am

The Hampton supporters were quieter than the proverbial church mice
Our chav firm must miss those Shots games also, not sure I miss the last half a dozen or so (was Gez winner in the last half a dozen?)

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Stoo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am
I don't want them to go down. I missed the two games against them at Christmas, usual results notwithstanding.

An away crowd on boxing day of about 50 or an away crowd on NYD of about 1200. The derbies against Hampton were soul destroying, not least because they were so bloody easy.

Good to see we've already secured promotion then :)

KT14_Card

Post by KT14_Card » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Anyone else see Mr waddock here tonight? Let's hope he wasn't scouting anyone...

Eggie James

Post by Eggie James » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes saw him leave
Hopefully looking at Welling player!!!

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 pm

He was probably just checking out the standard of the NLS in preparation for next season.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

Stoo wrote:

It might not be the worst thing in the world for them to go down. As you say it's eerily similar to what happened to us, they are in free fall, disgruntled fan base and they need a clean out from top to bottom.

A season lording it down here whilst they get their house in order might breath a bit of life back into them, as it has done for us

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 am

Ashcard wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Blimey Scorp, top marks there for bringing back to life such an old thread!

With resurrection qualities like that, have you thought about putting your name forward to help something like- i dunno, a struggling relegation threatened football team in poor form and in dire straights into a biblical monumental recovery?
"Blimey Scorp, top marks there for bringing back to life such an old thread!"

Always happy to oblige :-)

Can I save ATFC as well? Perhaps only if i find a sizeable wad of dosh in the chairman's pocket, but i suggest the real reason the Shots are struggling is because he and Waddock got complacent/over confident after 2 good seasons and thought it would be a doddle to survive after dismantling a successful team in order to save money.

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am

Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am
Stoo wrote:

It might not be the worst thing in the world for them to go down. As you say it's eerily similar to what happened to us, they are in free fall, disgruntled fan base and they need a clean out from top to bottom.

A season lording it down here whilst they get their house in order might breath a bit of life back into them, as it has done for us
I expected Woking to make a strong comeback at some stage, but the speed of it thus far has been ... interesting.

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Our current team is nowhere near as good as our team that won the Conf South, yet we have a similar number of points at the same stage.
I think the speed of our recovery is somewhat down to the NLs being a poor league.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:35 pm

skippy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm
Our current team is nowhere near as good as our team that won the Conf South, yet we have a similar number of points at the same stage.
I think the speed of our recovery is somewhat down to the NLs being a poor league.
That really was a cracking team. King, McNerney and Cowan-Hall all have had/still have long stints in the league, Ricketts and Murtugh could easily have been promoted from the National with Boreham Wood last year and that's before you even mention the likes of Gez, Doyle, Inn, Newton and Betsy.

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:01 pm

skippy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm
"I think the speed of our recovery is somewhat down to the NLs being a poor league"

Encouraging for any national league side getting relegated to it, but then there's the reality of how will it fare as and when it gets back into the national league - as perhaps you indicate, one way or another.

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Our defeat to Maidstone in the trophy suggests where our current team would be in the NL.